New Tehri is a city and a municipal board in Tehri Garhwal District in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. It is the administrative seat of Tehri Garhwal District. This urban municipality area has 11 wards, from Vidhi Vihar to Vishwakarma Puram (Koti colony). Mrs Seema Krishali is chairperson of Nagar Palika tehri, She is the First Lady Chairperson of Tehri Municipal corporate. She won this position as an independent. defeating candidates of Nationals parties like congress. Shri Umesh Gusain of BJP was chairman of the Tehri Nagarpalika before Mrs Seema krishali. He is the only Chairman who won this seat two times consecutively in 61 years. Tehri now comes under the Tehri assembly seat of Uttarakhand and the Tehri Lok Sabha seat of India, which are represented by Dhan Singh Negi (Bhartiya Janta Party) and Mala Rajya Laxmi Shah (Bhartiya Janta Party) respectively.
Tehri Dam lake Panorama
|Founded by||King Sudarshan Shah (New Tehri by THDC)|
|• Body||New Tehri Nagar Palika (Chairperson-Mrs. Seema Krishali, Independent), 2018/12/02-present|
|Elevation||1,750 m (5,740 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Sanskrit|
|• Native||Garhwali, Jaunpuri|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
The old town of Tehri sat at the confluence of the Bhagirathi and Bhilangna rivers. Tehri was the capital of the princely state of Tehri Garhwal (Garhwal Kingdom) in British India, which was created in 1815 and had an area of 4,180 square miles (10,800 km2), and a population of 268,885 in 1901. It adjoined the district of Garhwal, and its topographical features were similar. It contained the sources of both the Ganges and the Yamuna, which are visited by thousands of Hindu pilgrims.
Construction of the Tehri Dam totally submerged the old town of Tehri, and the population was shifted to the town of New Tehri. The town is famous as the site of protests against the dam by Sundarlal Bahuguna and his followers during the Chipko movement. At present the old Tehri town does not exist any longer.
As of 2011[update] India census, Tehri had a population of 24,014. Males constitute 65% of the population and females 35%. Tehri has an average literacy rate of 78%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 81%, and female literacy is 71%. In Tehri, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The most visited places that are actively maintained are Devi Kunjapuri Temple, Chandrabadani Devi, Shri Adinath Digambar Jain Mandir, Mahasar Taal, Sehstra Taal, and Khatling Glacier. Some areas of Tehri are view-able but neglected by the Uttrakhand government, including Panwali Kantha, Belhbagi Bugyal, and Khait parvat. Panwali Kantha is one of the most popular treks in Uttarakhand which is listed by Outlook Traveller in their write-up. These places have the potential to attract tourists for trekking and mountaineering. The new district headquarters at New Tehri can be looked at as a future tourist spot where views of Tehri Lake can be seen. Located in the proximity of Tehri Garhwal, Narendranagar is a tourist attraction where visitors can see the River Ganga and Doon valley.
|Tourist Spot||Sea Level in Meters||Nearby Town||Tracking Route|
(distance from road)
|Khait Parvat||3030||Ghansali, Ghonti||8.5 km|
|Khatling Glacier||3717||Ghuttu||45 km|
|Kunjapuri||1645||Narendra Nagar||200 meters|
|Maithiyana Devi||2500||Tilwara, Bhardar||9 km|
|Panwali Kantha||3963||Ghuttu||15 km|
|Sahastra Tal||4572||Ghuttu, Rih||32 km|
|Surkanda Devi||2757||Dhanaulti||1.5 km|
|Mauriyana Top||2050||Chinyali Saur, Suwakholi and Mussoorie||30 km, 35 km and 80 km|
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
Letitia Elizabeth Landon's poem 'The Grass-Rope Bridge at Teree, in the Province of Gurwall', refers back to the time when the hill country of this province was resorted to for recuperation by Europeans suffering from the heat of the plains.
- College of Forestry & Hill Agriculture, Uttarakhand University of Horticulture and Forestry P.O. Ranichaur
- Govt. PG college, New Tehri
- Govovernment Polytechnic, New Tehri
- Sanskrit Maha Vidhlaya
- THDC Institute of Hydropower Engineering and Technology
- Govt. Nursing College, Sursinghdhar, Vill. Kanda, New Tehri
- Govt. Girls Inter College, Baurai
- Govt, Pratap Inter College, Baurari
- Govt, Pratap Inter College, Moldhar
- Narendra Mahila Vidhayalay (Rajmata), B Puram
- Tehri Bandh pariyojya Inter college (THDC inter college), B Puram
- Sarswati Vidhya Mandir, Inter College
Schools affiliated to ICSEEdit
- All Saint Convent School New Tehri
Schools affiliated to CBSEEdit
- Bhagirathi Vidhya Sarovar
- New Tehri International School, Painula
- Saint Anthony School
- Sarswati Shishu Mandir
- Nav Gaon Public School
- Kendriya Vidalaya New Tehri Town
- Govt. Girls High School
- "The Ganga". Official Website of district Haridwar, Uttarakhand. National Informatics Centre, Haridwar District Unit. Archived from the original on 13 February 2010. Retrieved 8 March 2010.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tehri.|