Tara Tarini Temple is a Hindu shrine of Adi Shakti in the Kumari hills on the bank of Rushikulya river near Purushottampur in Ganjam district of Odisha, around 28km from Brahmapur city. Maa Tara Tarini is worshipped as the Breast Shrine (Sthana Peetha)[further explanation needed] of Adi Shakti Sati Devi there.
|Tara Tarini Temple|
|Deity||Tara & Tarini|
|Festivals||Chaitra Mela/Chaitra Parva/Chaitra Yatra, Holi, Dusshera, Navaratri, Dipawali, Sankranti, and every Tuesday|
|Location||Kumari Hills, Purushottampur|
|Creator||Kalinga Emperors in Ancient Period, Basupraharaj in Medieval period in 17th century and Tara Tarini Development Board at present|
|Inscriptions||Two- At the Foot Hill of the Shrine (Shiv Temple)|
About Shakti Peetha edit
The shrine is considered one of the most revered Shakti Peethas & Tantra Peethas and major pilgrimage centres of the Shakta (Shaktism) sect of Hinduism. Shakti Peethas are considered holy abodes of Parashakti.
Chaitra Yatra edit
Each Sankrati (1st day of the solar Hindu month), special pujas are done in the temple.
- "Navy honours Tara-Tarini hill shrine by naming sailboat". The Hindu. 20 February 2017. Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- "TARA-TARINI: The Ancient Shakti Pitha of Orissa". Archived from the original on 15 February 2017. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "History of taratarini". Archived from the original on 15 February 2017. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "Kottiyoor Devaswam Temple Administration Portal". kottiyoordevaswom.com/. Kottiyoor Devaswam. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Tara Tarini Mela". newodisha.in. 2012. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
takes place on each Tuesday in the month of Chaitra