Open main menu

Wikipedia β

Talk:Rolled homogeneous armour

WikiProject Military history (Rated Start-Class)
MILHIST This article is within the scope of the Military history WikiProject. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the project and see a list of open tasks. To use this banner, please see the full instructions.
Start This article has been rated as Start-Class on the quality assessment scale.
WikiProject Tanks (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Tanks, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Tanks on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.

Should each word be capitalized in this one? As far as I can tell, rolled homogeous armour is not a proper noun, and should not be capitalized throughout. Joshbaumgartner 17:06, 2004 Nov 17 (UTC)

That quote about the efficacy of RHA seems like it should probably be sourced. --Xanzzibar 08:23, 4 Jun 2005 (UTC)

-Added "unknown source" until the information is apparent. Mushin 19:14, 29 July 2005 (UTC)

"RHA itself is obsolete due to advances in vehicle armor". Who came up with this idea? Most APCs and AFVs are mostly RHA. Dudtz 7/1/06 2:46 PM EST

The nameEdit

What does Rolled in the name of the armor refer to? The only guess I came up with is Rolling mill or Rolling (metalworking). Is this correct? Are thick plates of steel really created through rolling? If this is correct, this article should mention this and link to one of these articles.

Yes, it referrs to the metalworking technique. The actual armor could be made using other techniques, such as casting (armor with complex curves such as tank turrets were sometimes made this way), but rolled steel is used for comparison purposes, since it was the most common way to make large steel plates, and it's a reasonably uniform material. --Carnildo 03:01, 28 August 2006 (UTC)
In particular, it is referring to older armor which was generally very high strength cast steel. The switch to tanks fabricated entirely from high strength rolled alloys was a major post-WW-II improvement, once the alloys were good enough to allow it.
Footnote: in reference to the "expert review desired" tag, I am not an armor professional, but a highly educated amateur. Georgewilliamherbert 05:24, 22 September 2006 (UTC)

"Increasing the protection on a vehicle meant adding thicker sheets of steel, increasing the vehicle's weight and reducing its mobility." - Shaping and sloping armor was as much a factor as simply making it thicker.


I added some links to the particular US military specifications mentioned. This is obviously US-centric, so please feel free to add other specs as desired. Bosef1 (talk) 03:59, 11 October 2011 (UTC)

Rolling ProcessEdit

The article mentions that the steel is hot rolled, to have a homogenous crystalline structure (which makes sense), but in the sentence right after, it says that the rolling also elongates the crystalline structure, which AFAIK only happens if the metal is cold rolled. If someone has more knowledge about that kind of armor, this info should be verified and the wrong sentence removed. " (talk) 04:26, 28 July 2012 (UTC)"

HEAT and APCR roundsEdit

Both HEAT (high explosive anti-tank, a.k.a. hollow charge) and APCR (armor-piercing composite rigid, an early kind of KE round) were developed and used in World War II, as early as 1941/42. Perhaps reword the article a bit so that it doesn't sound as if these rounds were post-war inventions. (The problem just became more and more apparent as the effectiveness of these rounds increased.) -- DevSolar (talk) 14:11, 27 August 2012 (UTC)

False charachterization in 'Specifications'Edit

The article says 'RHA is similar to SAE 4340 steel alloy.[3]', but the linked ref doesn't actually say that.

the question is: 'I see that most of these references are citing an RHA steel - but what designation. Most of the papers (including the one you cited above) refer to J-C parameters that are typical for a 4340 steel. Does this mean that RHA ~ 4340?*

the answer is 'Regarding RHA, it is not the same as SAE 4340. The MIL standard shows the chemical composition for RHA, which has a lower range of carbon than 4340, among other differences. You can find the composition of 4340 on Matweb or other any number of other sites.'

I am uncomfortable using this reference to say that 'RHA is similar to SAE 4340 steel alloy'. How similar is similar when you take away the differences? — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 07:33, 15 October 2016 (UTC)

External links modifiedEdit

Hello fellow Wikipedians,

I have just modified 2 external links on Rolled homogeneous armour. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:

When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.

You may set the |checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting |needhelp= to your help request.

  • If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
  • If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.

If you are unable to use these tools, you may set |needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.

Cheers.—InternetArchiveBot (Report bug) 01:29, 14 December 2017 (UTC)

Return to "Rolled homogeneous armour" page.