Talk:Embroidery hoops and frames

Add discussion
Active discussions
WikiProject Textile Arts (Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Textile Arts, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of textile arts on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
 Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the importance scale.


I have expanded this article to include frames. Embroidery frame will redirect here. - PKM 03:07, 7 July 2007 (UTC)

Thanks. I was wondering whether to make that a separate article. How do you think we should handle the correspondence to quilting hoops and frames? DurovaCharge! 16:28, 8 July 2007 (UTC)
I'd make a new article on quilting hoops and frames and have "see also" links between the two. Make sense to you? - PKM 16:51, 8 July 2007 (UTC)
Perfect sense, thanks. DurovaCharge! 00:46, 12 July 2007 (UTC)

Tambour frames are differentEdit

Tambour frames differ from embroidery hoops. It isn't an earlier name for the same thing. I've never used one, but the pictures I've seen all have struts curving down below the hoop parts. They're used typically with tambour hooks.-- (talk) 04:16, 22 February 2020 (UTC)


You also get metal hoops, especially from machine embroidery when these are spring-loaded (rather than being tightened with a screw). There are also 'flexihoops' but I don't know really what those are. I've seen them, but haven't read a reliable description. (I think you stretch the elastic outer circle over the inner one, but not certain.)

Quilting hoops and embroidery hoops overlap. Especially, some of the former may be used for embroidery when the piece is thicker or heavier. I don't think there's a clean distinction between them, so separating them into two articles seems a bit odd. (Whereas hoops should never be used for needlepoint or canvas work.)

There are other kinds of frames, too. 'Slate' vs. 'scroll', for sure, but also 'stretcher bars'. Not all frames have webbing. Some have grooves with dowels or similar to avoid the need to sew the piece on. -- (talk) 04:22, 22 February 2020 (UTC)