|Capacity||> 500 (200 m) - 735 (low cost version +200 m)|
|Car body construction||Aluminum and composite material|
|Train length||200 m (standard version)|
|Car length||Trailer car, 13 m (42 ft 8 in)|
|Width||2900 mm - 3200 mm(according to versions)|
|Maximum speed||380 km/h (240 mph)|
|Weight||287 t - 315 t (according to versions)|
|Traction system||Up to 12 synchronous motors|
|Power output||8800 kW - 10000 kW (according to versions)|
|Power supply||Overhead catenary or |
On board generator
|Electric system(s)||25 kV/50 Hz; 15 kV/16.7 Hz; 3 kV DC; 1.5 kV DC and multivoltage|
|Braking system(s)||Regenerative dynamic braking, pneumatic brake|
|Track gauge||Fixed gauge (1,435 mm, 1,520 mm or 1,668 mm) and variable gauge|
The train is intended to have a top speed of 380 km/h (240 mph). It will have front and rear power cars containing under-floor/over-roof equipment and 8 trailer cars in between the power cars, giving a total seating capacity comparable to those of an Electric Multiple Unit rather than a locomotive-hauled train. The trailer cars will have an unusually short length of 13 m (42 ft 8 in).
- The train will be 3.2 metres (10 ft) wide, allowing for a standard 3x2 seating arrangement that gives a passenger capacity of up to 600.
- Versions for fixed gauge (1,435 mm, 1,520 mm or 1,668 mm) and variable gauge are planned.
- The traction system will be compatible with four voltages—25 kV/50 Hz; 15 kV/16.7 Hz; 3 kV DC; 1.5 kV DC.
Talgo presented the Avril concept at the InnoTrans fair in Berlin in September 2010. After several years of development and testing, the first order for Avril trains was placed in November 2016, when Spanish operator Renfe Operadora signed a €786.5 million contract for 15 train sets and 30 years of maintenance. In May 2017, Renfe Operadora ordered 15 more train sets, with the Avril's entry into service expected in 2020.
- "Talgo's 380 km/h Avril train to take on the airlines". Railway Gazette International. 27 July 2009.
- "Talgo Avril Very High Speed Train". Railway Technology. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Avril, tren español de "muy alta velocidad" (in Spanish)". 20minutos. 24 September 2010.
- "Talgo wins Spanish high speed train order". Railway Gazette International. 28 November 2016. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "RENFE orders gauge-changing high speed trainsets". Railway Gazette International. 1 June 2017. Retrieved 16 March 2018.