While, ghazal originated in Arabia evolving from Qasida, some of the common features of contemporary ghazal, such as including takhallus in maqta, concept of matla etc., did not exist in Arabic ghazal. It was Persian ghazal which added these features.
List of Takhallus of some Urdu poets:
- Ghalib – Mirza Asadullah Baig Khan
- Faiz – Faiz Ahmed Faiz
- Hali – Altaf Hussain
- Jigar - Sikander Ali Moradabadi
- Kaki - Khwaja Qutbuddin Bakhtiar
List of Takhallus of some Persian poets:
- "Pseudonym, or takhallus, in Urdu: some interesting facts".
- A Brief History of Persian Literature, by the Iran Chamber Society.
- "The history, art and performance of ghazal in Hindustani sangeet". Daily Times. 2017-12-21. Retrieved 2020-01-18.
- Tamīmʹdārī, Aḥmad (2002). The Book of Iran: A History of Persian Literature : Schools, Periods, Styles and Literary Genres. Alhoda UK. p. 169. ISBN 978-964-472-366-7.