TVN Group (TVN S.A.) is a Polish media and entertainment group established in 1995 as TVN Sp. z o.o. The CEO of TVN Group is Katarzyna "Kasia" Kieli, president and managing director of TVN Warner Bros. Discovery. Its TV channel, TVN, is their flagship.
|Headquarters||Media Business Centre|
|Owner||Warner Bros. Discovery|
|Parent||TVN Warner Bros. Discovery|
(Warner Bros. Discovery International)
In 2004, with its debut on the Warsaw Stock Exchange, the company became a public limited company. In March 2015, U.S. broadcaster Scripps Networks Interactive bought a 52.7% majority stake in TVN for €584 million. In July 2015, SNI bought out TVN's remaining owners, ITI Group and Canal+ Group, for €584 million, giving it full ownership.
On March 6, 2018, SNI was, in turn, acquired by Discovery, Inc. for US$14.6 billion. Liberty Global, which operated pay television provider UPC Polska, is a major shareholder in Discovery. The European Commission thus required TVN to ensure that TVN24 and TVN24 BiS remain available to third-party television providers.
- TVN 7
- TVN24 BiS
- TVN Fabuła
- TVN International
- TVN International Extra
- TVN Style
- TVN Turbo
- Cartoon Network
- Food Network
- HGTV Home&Garden
- Travel Channel
- Player.pl (On demand service)
- TVN24 GO (On demand service)
- Kontakt 24
- TVN Warszawa
- TVN Meteo
- TVN Zdrowie
- TVN +1
- TVN 24 International
- Telewizja Wisła
- TVN Wisła / TVN Południe (programming dedicated to Southern Poland (HQ in Kraków), merged with TVN in 2001)
- TVN Północ (programming dedicated to Northern Poland (HQ in Gdańsk), ceased broadcasting around 2000)
- TVN Łódź (programming dedicated to Łódź region, ceased broadcasting around 2000)
- TVN Warszawa (channel dedicated to the region of Warsaw, showing news and other programmes, now available only as internet webpage).
- TVN Gra ('game' or 'play'; channel only showing interactive game and quiz shows)
- TVN Meteo Active (channel focused on active, healthy lifestyle, recreation, fitness and rational nutrition; transformed from TVN Meteo)
- TVN Meteo
- TVN Lingua (channel dedicated to learning languages)
- TVN Med (a channel oriented towards physicians, which was only available to licensed practitioners)
- Discovery TVN Historia (at present Discovery Historia, history channel produced with Discovery Channel)
- TVN CNBC (business channel produced with CNBC Europe)
Conflict with Law and Justice government (2021)Edit
Since 2020 TVN and the Polish government of the Law and Justice has had a conflict. In July 2021, a group of PiS lawmakers, submitted to parliament a draft amendment that would prevent companies from outside the European Economic Area taking control of Polish radio and television stations. This would mean that Discovery which owns TVN might be forced to divest its ownership. TVN is known to be highly critical of Law and Justice (PiS) government. Agreement, the PiS coalition partner, was opposed to this – they instead proposed a change that would allow companies from countries in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) to own more than 49% of shares in Polish media companies. Meaning no change to American ownership of the channel. The government denies the measure is aimed at any one broadcaster, saying it seeks to prevent potential media acquisitions by non-EU countries such as Russia, China and Arab nations.
in August 2021, the bill was passed via the Sejm on a vote of 228 to 216, with 10 abstentions, making TVN's rights expire on September 26.
On August 30, 2021, the Chairman of the National Broadcasting Council sent to TV operators permission to enter the TVN24 program on the Discovery Communications Benelux B.V. license. The decision ensures the continuity of broadcasting the TVN24 program after September 26, 2021, regardless of the results of the ongoing conflict with Law and Justice government.
On December 17, 2021, parliamentary committee on culture and mass media unexpectedly resumed works on the bill, informing opposition MPs less than 20 minutes before the session. After a quick vote, the act was introduced to the Sejm, where it was adopted – equally quickly. The bill must be now signed by President Andrzej Duda to become law. On this day TVN24 signal was also transmitted by main TVN channel which has much wider broadcast range, also the news ticker of the station and the tvn24.pl website colours were changed to shades of black as a representation of a dark day in Polish media freedom.
- ^ Middleton, Richard (April 21, 2022). "Warner Bros. Discovery names int'l team, as Priya Dogra, James Gibbons & Anil Jhingan take new roles". TBI Vision. Archived from the original on June 12, 2022. Retrieved May 29, 2022.
- ^ "Edward Miszczak żegna się z TVN. Będzie też nowa struktura organizacyjna". TVN24. June 7, 2022. Archived from the original on June 12, 2022. Retrieved June 12, 2022.
- ^ "Scripps buys majority stake in TVN". C21media. March 16, 2015. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
- ^ "Scripps Networks Interactive sfinalizował przejęcie TVN". Tvn24. Retrieved July 3, 2015.
- ^ Dickens, Andrew (July 2, 2015). "Scripps completes TVN purchase". C21media. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
- ^ Szalai, Georg (March 6, 2018). "Discovery Closes Scripps Acquisition, Creating Non-scripted Content Giant". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 6, 2018.
- ^ Szalai, Georg (July 31, 2017). "Discovery to Acquire Scripps Networks for $14.6 Billion". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 31, 2017.
- ^ "Case M.8665 – Discovery / Scripps" (PDF). European Commission. February 6, 2018. Retrieved March 6, 2018.
- ^ "European Commission Clears Discovery Deal to Buy Scripps". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- ^ "Polish draft law threatens U.S.-owned broadcaster, opposition says". Reuters. July 8, 2021.
- ^ "Discovery opposes proposed Polish media rules". Reuters. July 12, 2021.
- ^ "Polish media law faces uncertain future amid coalition splits".
- ^ "Junior coalition leader says media law amendment threatens investment".
- ^ "Poland's ruling party rams through media law despite US warnings". August 11, 2021.
- ^ Erlanger, Steven; Pronczuk, Monika (August 11, 2021). "Poland's Government Wins Vote on Media Bill, Despite Losing Majority". The New York Times.
- ^ "Polish parliament passes controversial new media ownership bill". August 11, 2021.
- ^ "Zgoda Przewodniczącego KRRiT na wpis do rejestru programu TVN24 – Krajowa Rada Radiofonii i Telewizji – Portal Gov.pl". Krajowa Rada Radiofonii i Telewizji (in Polish). Retrieved August 30, 2021.
- ^ "Sejm passes controversial media law targeting TVN24". tvn24.pl. December 17, 2021.
- ^ "Wymowna reakcja TVN24. Internauci mogą być zdziwieni (in polish)". wp.pl. December 17, 2021.
- Official website (in Polish)