Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Women's 200 metre individual medley
|Women's 200 metre individual medley|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Aquatics Stadium|
|Dates||8 August 2016 (heats &|
9 August 2016 (final)
|Competitors||40 from 27 nations|
|Winning time||2:06.58 OR|
Another medley double happened for the sixth straight time, as Hungary's Katinka Hosszú pulled away from the field to collect her third individual Olympic gold at these Games. Leading from the start, she threw down a gold-medal time in 2:06.58 to establish a new Olympic record, and to hold off a charging Great Britain's Siobhan-Marie O'Connor by three tenths of a second. Unable to catch the Hungarian towards a sprint finish, O'Connor produced a new British record of 2:06.88 to take home the silver. Meanwhile, U.S. swimmer Maya DiRado added a bronze to her runner-up prize from the 400 m individual medley three days earlier with a time of 2:08.79, edging out her teammate Melanie Margalis (2:09.21) to fourth by almost half a second.
Australia's Alicia Coutts, silver medalist from London 2012, culminated her Olympic career with a fifth-place time in 2:10.88, and was shortly followed in sixth by Canadian swimmer Sydney Pickrem (2:11.22). Russia's Viktoriya Andreeva (2:12.28), and defending gold medalist Ye Shiwen of China (2:13.56) closed out the field.
Before this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Katinka Hosszú (HUN)||2:06.12||Kazan, Russia||3 August 2015|
|Olympic record||Ye Shiwen (CHN)||2:07.57||London, United kingdom||31 July 2012|
The following records were established during the competition:
|8 August||Heat 5||Katinka Hosszú||Hungary||2:07.45||OR|
|9 August||Final||Katinka Hosszú||Hungary||2:06.58||OR|
|1||4||4||Siobhan-Marie O'Connor||Great Britain||2:07.57||Q, NR|
|2||3||5||Maya DiRado||United States||2:08.91||Q|
|6||2||2||Kim Seo-yeong||South Korea||2:12.15|
|3||7||Hannah Miley||Great Britain|
|3||4||5||Melanie Margalis||United States||2:10.10||Q|
|8||4||8||Mireia Belmonte García||Spain||2:13.33|
|4||Siobhan-Marie O'Connor||Great Britain||2:06.88||NR|
|3||Maya DiRado||United States||2:08.79|
|4||2||Melanie Margalis||United States||2:09.21|
- "Women's 200m Individual Medley". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 26 August 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Baldwin, Alan (10 August 2016). "Swimming: Hosszu completes her golden treble". Reuters. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "'Iron Lady' Katinka Hosszu wins 200 IM, third gold of Rio Games". Olympics. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Yorke, Harry (10 August 2016). "Rio 2016: Team GB's Siobhan-Marie O'Connor wins silver before men's relay team doubles medal haul for the evening". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Swimmer Siobhan-Marie O'Connor's family 'ecstatic' over Rio silver". BBC Sport. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Lutz, Rachel (10 August 2016). "Katinka Hosszu wins 200m IM, third gold of Rio Olympics". NBC Olympics. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Katinka Hosszu Edges Past 200 IM Olympic Record For Third Individual Gold". Swimming World Magazine. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Barrett, Chris (10 August 2016). "Emma McKeon claims bronze behind Katie Ledecky in 200m freestyle at Rio Olympics". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Katinka Hosszu Breaks 200 IM Olympic Record in Prelims". Swimming World Magazine. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Stubbs, Roman (10 August 2016). "Katinka Hosszu sets Olympic record in 200-meter individual medley prelims". The Washington Post. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Katinka Hosszu Stuns, Takes Down Techsuited World Record in 200 IM at 2015 FINA World Championships". Swimming World Magazine. 3 August 2015. Retrieved 30 August 2016.
- Auerbach, Nicole (31 July 2012). "Ye Shiwen: Another gold, another record, more suspicion". USA Today. Retrieved 9 July 2013.