Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Women's 200 metre freestyle
|Women's 200 metre freestyle|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Aquatics Stadium|
|Dates||8 August 2016 (heats &|
9 August 2016 (final)
|Competitors||43 from 28 nations|
After a world-record breaking victory in the 400 m freestyle two days earlier, U.S. distance ace Katie Ledecky pulled away from the field to capture the Olympic mid-distance freestyle crown and her second individual gold at these Games. Hanging with the leaders at the 150-metre turn, Ledecky fended off Sweden's Sarah Sjöström towards a gold-medal finish in 1:53.73. Despite trying to hold on Ledecky at the final lap, Sjöström was unable to catch her near the wall, and settled for the silver in 1:54.08. Meanwhile, Australia's Emma McKeon moved up from one of the outside lanes to take home the bronze in 1:54.92.
Italy's world-record holder Federica Pellegrini dropped off the podium for the second straight Olympics to fourth in 1:55.18, charging a 0.07-second edge ahead of China's Shen Duo and McKeon's countrywoman Bronte Barratt, bronze medalist from London 2012, both of whom shared the fifth-place time with a matching 1:55.25. Sjöström's teammate Michelle Coleman grabbed the penultimate spot of the top eight in 1:56.27, with France's Charlotte Bonnet (1:56.29) narrowly trailing her by 0.02 of a second to round out the field.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Federica Pellegrini (ITA)||1:52.98||Rome, Italy||29 July 2009|
|Olympic record||Allison Schmitt (USA)||1:53.61||London, United Kingdom||31 July 2012|
|8||7||Missy Franklin||United States||1:57.56|
|2||4||Katie Ledecky||United States||1:54.81||Q|
|6||2||Siobhan Haughey||Hong Kong||1:57.56|
|5||Katie Ledecky||United States||1:53.73|
- "Women's 200m Freestyle". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 26 August 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Auerbach, Nicole (9 August 2016). "Katie Ledecky wins gold in women's 200 free". USA Today. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Sheinin, Dave (9 August 2016). "Katie Ledecky just keeps on winning, captures second gold in 200 freestyle". The Washington Post. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Crouse, Karen; Mills, Doug (9 August 2016). "Katie Ledecky's Gold Medal Haul Continues". New York Times. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Katie Ledecky Claims Victory In 200 Free; Adds Second Individual Gold Medal". Swimming World Magazine. 9 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Pentony, Luke (9 August 2016). "Rio 2016: Australia's Emma McKeon takes out bronze in women's 200m freestyle fina". ABC News Australia. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Fenno, Nathan (9 August 2016). "Missy Franklin fails to advance in 200 freestyle". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "FINA World Championships, Swimming: Federica Pellegrini Puts on Show for Home Crowd With World Record, U.S. Goes 2-3 With American Record". Swimming World Magazine. 31 July 2012. Archived from the original on 11 May 2013. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Phelps bounces back with 200m fly world record triumph". Sydney Morning Herald. 31 July 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Olympics swimming: Allison Schmitt wins with Games record". BBC Sport. 31 July 2012. Archived from the original on 29 August 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2013.