A sweet roll or sweet bun refers to any of a number of sweet, baked, yeast-leavened breakfast or dessert foods. They may contain spices, nuts, candied fruits, etc., and are often glazed or topped with icing. Compared to regular bread dough, sweet roll dough generally has higher levels of sugar, fat, eggs, and yeast. They are often round, and are small enough to comprise a single serving. These differ from pastries, which are made from a paste-like batter; from cakes, which are typically unleavened or chemically leavened; and from doughnuts, which are deep fried.
|Alternative names||Sweet bun|
Refrigerated ready-to-bake sweet roll dough is commercially available in grocery stores.
- "Sweet roll". Dictionary.reference.com. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- Ponte, Joseph G.; Payne, Joel D. (2000). Bakery Processes, Yeast-Raised Products. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. doi:10.1002/0471238961.2505011916151420.a01.pub2. ISBN 9780471238966.
- "bun". Oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- "roll noun (BREAD)". Dictionary.cambridge.org. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- "Pastry". Reference.com. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- "Cake". Merriam-webster.com. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- "Doughnut". Dictionary.reference.com. Retrieved 2012-05-14.
- Thomas E. Furia (2 January 1973). CRC Handbook of Food Additives, Second Edition. CRC Press. pp. 656–. ISBN 978-0-8493-0542-9.
- Wayne Gisslen (3 March 2008). Professional Baking. John Wiley & Sons. pp. 112–. ISBN 978-0-471-78349-7.
- Peter Reinhart (6 April 2011). The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread. Potter/TenSpeed/Harmony. pp. 143–. ISBN 978-1-60774-129-9.
- Edward Gee (9 February 2016). Bake: Beautiful baking recipes from around the world. Parragon Books Ltd. pp. 657–. ISBN 978-1-4723-8797-4.
- Patricia Harris; David Lyon (3 July 2012). Food Lovers' Guide to® Vermont & New Hampshire: The Best Restaurants, Markets & Local Culinary Offerings. Globe Pequot Press. pp. 35–. ISBN 978-0-7627-9440-9.
|This bread-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|