Dutta was born in famous Dutta family of Hatkhola, Kolkata in 1941. In 1958 he passed Matriculation from the South Point School and completed I.A. from Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira. Dutta graduated in Economics from St. Xavier's College, Kolkata.
During his school days Dutta came into contact with veteran actor Utpal Dutt. He also performed with Utpal Dutt on stage. First breakthrough of his career is Apanjan, a popular drama film of Tapan Sinha released in 1968. This movie won the National Film Award. He played the role of hero and versatile parts in a number of Bengali films of the late 60s and early 70s. Dutta also acted in Hindi film Uphaar with Jaya Bhaduri in 1971. He died on 17 July 2019 at the age of 78 in a hospital of Kolkata.
- January 16, Swagata Sen; January 28, 2008 ISSUE DATE; January 19, 2008UPDATED; Ist, 2008 09:58. "Fresh takes". India Today. Retrieved 2019-07-17.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Veteran Bengali actor Swarup Dutta no more - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-07-17.
- "'Pita Putra' actor Swarup Dutta passes away due to age-related ailments at 78". The Economic Times. 2019-07-17. Retrieved 2019-07-17.
- "Veteran Bengali Actor Swarup Dutta Dies At 78". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2019-07-17.
- সংবাদদাতা, নিজস্ব. "থামলেন আপনজন, প্রয়াত অভিনেতা স্বরূপ দত্ত". anandabazar.com (in Bengali). Retrieved 2019-07-17.
- "Actor Swarup Datta hospitalised due to illness - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-07-17.
- "Veteran Bengali actor Swarup Dutta passes away". Devdiscourse. Retrieved 2019-07-17.
- "States". Retrieved July 17, 2019.