Surviving Mars is a city building simulation video game developed by the Bulgarian studio Haemimont Games and published by Paradox Interactive. It was released on Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on March 15, 2018. The player serves as an overseer who must build a colony on Mars and ensure the survival of the colonists.
|Release||March 15, 2018|
|Genre(s)||Simulation, city building|
Surviving Mars is a city builder simulation game which takes place on Mars and is modeled after real martian data. In Surviving Mars, the player is in charge of manufacturing resources, constructing Domes and other buildings, and managing the citizens of the colony on Mars. Oxygen, water, shelter and food are priorities that players need to be constantly aware of. The game also has story lines called mysteries, which add various events to the colony, including plagues, war, rival corporations, AI revolt, aliens, and others. Landing sites have various amounts of resource deposits, such as concrete and rare metals, which can be exported back to Earth for funds. Landing sites also have various natural disasters like meteor storms and cold waves to increase difficulty.
Haemimont Games, the developer of the Tropico series, led the game's development. The team studied science and challenges real-life scientists consider when thinking about colonizing Mars, then turned them into gameplay elements. The game's aesthetics were inspired by The Jetsons and Futurama. Describing the game as a "hardcore survival city-builder", publisher Paradox Interactive announced the game in May 2017. The game was released for Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on March 15, 2018 with mod support. Two DLCs, titled Green Planet and Space Race, were released by Haeminont. Another Paradox's city builder, Cities: Skylines received a free DLC based on Surviving Mars.
- "Surviving Mars Review". IGN. March 15, 2018. Retrieved April 16, 2018 – via Youtube.
- Shchelochkov, Daniel. ""Surviving Mars review A city-builder with a killer streak"". PC Gamer.
- Lathi, Evan (February 3, 2018). "Here's what a late-game colony looks like in Surviving Mars". PC Gamer. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- Campbell, Colin (March 15, 2018). "Surviving Mars is tough, smart and very dusty". Polygon. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- Hafer, T.J. (October 31, 2017). "Surviving Mars wants to inspire the next generation of astronauts". PC Gamer. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- Osborn, Alex (May 12, 2017). "Paradox Interactive Announces New Space Sim Surviving Mars". IGN. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- Plunkett, Luke (May 14, 2017). "Paradox Publishing A "Hardcore" Strategy Game About Mars". Kotaku. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- Kim, Matt (January 2, 2018). "Surviving Mars Launches on March 15, Features Day One Mod Support". USgamer. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- Boudreau, Ian (April 9, 2018). "Surviving Mars' next expansion introduces terraforming". Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- O'Connor, Alice (November 5, 2018). "Surviving Mars: Space Race expansion blasts off next week". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- Hood, Vic (March 8, 2018). "Cities Skylines hits five million sales, celebrates with free Surviving Mars DLC". PCGamesN. Retrieved May 16, 2019.
- "Surviving Mars for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved October 7, 2019.
- "Surviving Mars for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved October 7, 2019.
- "Surviving Mars for Xbox One Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved October 7, 2019.