Sunday Times Rich List
The Sunday Times Rich List is a list of the 1,000 wealthiest people or families resident in the United Kingdom ranked by net wealth. The list is updated annually in April and published as a magazine supplement by British national Sunday newspaper The Sunday Times since 1989. The editorial decisions governing the compilation of the Rich List are published in the newspaper and online as its "Rules of engagement."
|List of 1,000 UK residents, ranked in order of net worth|
|Publication||The Sunday Times|
|Latest publication||May 12, 2019|
|Current list details (2019)|
|Net worth (1st)||GB£22 billion|
|Sunday Times Rich List website|
The Rich List is not limited to British citizens and it includes individuals and families born overseas but who predominantly work and/or live in Britain. This excludes some individuals with prominent financial assets in Britain.
The editors estimate subjects' wealth from a range of public information, based on values in January each year. They typically explain their actions by stating: "We measure identifiable wealth, whether land, property, racehorses, art or significant shares in publicly quoted companies. We exclude bank accounts—to which we have no access... We try to give due consideration to liabilities."
Since 2005, as part of the Rich List, The Sunday Times has produced an annual Giving List, which tracks the most generous philanthropists in the UK as a proportion of their wealth. In 2018, it was reported that, of the 300 philanthropists listed in the Giving List, a total of £3.207 billion was given away.
A fuller version of the Rich List is also published in a reference book edition, edited by Philip Beresford. This list covers the top 5,000 richest people, rather than the top 1,000, and includes their business addresses:
- Sunday Times Rich List 2006-2007 was published by A & C Black in December 2006 (ISBN 978-0713679410).
- Sunday Times Rich List 2007-2008 was due to be published by A & C Black in November 2007 (ISBN 978-0713685152) but no book appeared due to a deadlock between the publishers and The Sunday Times. The publisher was keen to carry on but only if a CD version was attached to the book. The Sunday Times would not allow this as it would give competitors a chance to develop their own database and launch rival rich lists.
Lists by yearEdit
- Sunday Times Rich List 2007
- Sunday Times Rich List 2008
- Sunday Times Rich List 2009
- Sunday Times Rich List 2010
- Sunday Times Rich List 2011
- Sunday Times Rich List 2012
- Sunday Times Rich List 2013
- Sunday Times Rich List 2014
- Sunday Times Rich List 2015
- Sunday Times Rich List 2016
- Sunday Times Rich List 2017
- Sunday Times Rich List 2018
- Sunday Times Rich List 2019
- The Sunday Times
- Helen Nianias (26 April 2015). "The Queen drops off the top end of the Sunday Times Rich List for the first time since its inception". The Independent. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- Watts, Robert, ed. (12 May 2019). "The Rich List: Rich prepare to flee Corbyn's Britain". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- The Sunday Times Tax List 2019: Britain’s top taxpayers revealed
- Stephen Rubin, owner of JD Sports, paid most tax in UK last year with £181m bill
- "UK's richest gave away over £3.2bn last year, according to Sunday Times". www.civilsociety.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- Cooney, Rebecca. "Giving by the richest steady at £3.2bn". www.thirdsector.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- Thinkresource.org Archived 2011-07-28 at Archive.today Resource talks to Philip Beresford