Sumaira Tazeen (Urdu: سمیرا تزین) is a Canada-based Pakistani artist who specializes in contemporary miniature art. A gold medalist from National College of Arts, Tazeen has presented her work to various influential peronsalities around the world including Queen Elizabeth II (1997), Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf (2006) and Queen Rania of Jordan.
|Alma mater||National College of Arts|
After early schooling in Hyderabad, Tazeen did her Bachelor of Fine Arts from the National College of Arts (NCA) in Lahore, specializing in miniature painting. At NCA, she received a gold medal for outstanding student and the Haji Mohammad Sharif Award for Miniature Painting.
Known as a master of traditional gilding technique, Tazeen has conducted various workshops at institutions including the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto and at the Art Gallery of Mississauga. Tazeen's solo exhibitions as well as selected group exhibitions have taken place across the world including New York City, London, Amman, Milan, Mississauga, Dhaka, Lahore and Karachi. She taught at the Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture, Karachi, as assistant professor in the department of Miniature Painting from 2005 to 2012. Other notable contributions include her role as a colour consultant and textile designer for Gul Ahmed Textile, illustrator for Oxford University Press in Karachi and preparing miniatures for Sindh Governor House.
- Enrico Mascelloni (2004). Arte dall'Asia centrale. Idra.
- "In conversation with Sumaira Tazeen | artnow". Artnowpakistan.com. Retrieved 20 February 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Zarafshan: An Introduction to Gilding Techniques with Sumaira Tazeen". Aga Khan Museum. Retrieved 20 February 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Sumaira Tazeen". Canvas Art Gallery. Retrieved 20 February 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Tahir, Minewa (15 January 2015). "Greener on the other side: Sumaira Tazeen takes to miniature to showcase struggle of immigrants". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 20 February 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Artmart: Young at art". Dawn.Com. 21 March 2010. Retrieved 20 February 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)