Life and careerEdit
Sujata Bhatt was born in Ahmedabad, Gujarat and brought up in Pune until 1968, when she emigrated to United States with her family. She has an MFA from the University of Iowa, and for a time was writer-in-residence at the University of Victoria, Canada. She received the Commonwealth Poetry Prize (Asia) and the Alice Hunt_Bartlett Prize for her first collection Brunizem in 1987.Her poem Search For My Tongue was widely praised by critics around the world.  She received a Cholmondeley Award in 1991 and the Italian Tratti Poetry Prize in 2000.  Her translations from the German include Mickle Makes Muckle: poems, mini plays and short prose by Michael Augustin (Dedalus Press, 2007). Bhatt was a visiting fellow at Dickinson College, Pennsylvania and currently works as a freelance writer. She has translated Gujarati poetry into English for the Penguin Anthology of Contemporary Indian Women Poets. Combining Gujarati and English, Bhatt writes "Indian-English rather than Anglo-Indian poetry." Her poems have appeared in various journals in the United Kingdom, Ireland, the United States, and Canada, and have been widely anthologised, as well as being broadcast on British, German, and Dutch radio. In 2013 she was made Visiting Professor of Creative Writing at Nottingham Trent University.
Michael Schmidt (poet) observed that her "free verse is fast-moving, urgent with narratives, softly spoken. Her cadence is natural, her diction undecorated." Bhatt has been recognized as a distinctive voice in contemporary poetry. She is, the New Statesman declared, "one of the finest poets alive". Her poem 'A Different History' dealing with the issues of globalization and westernization, featured in the poetry anthology used for IGCSE English examinations, for examination in 2014.
- 1988 Brunizem Carcanet Press
- 1989 'The One Who Goes Away* Carcanet Press
- 1991 Monkey Shadows' Carcanet Press
- 1995 The Stinking Rose Carcanet Press
- 1997 Point No Point. Carcanet Press
- 2000 Augatora. Carcanet Press
- 2002 The Colour of Solitude (Second edition). Carcanet Press
- 2008 Pure Lizard. Carcanet Pressmasab
- Profile at the Poetry Archive
- Schmidt, Michael: Lives of Poets, p860. Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1998.
- Schmidt, Michael: Lives of Poets, page 861. Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1998.