This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Suizhou (simplified Chinese: 随州; traditional Chinese: 隨州; pinyin: Suízhōu), formerly Sui County (simplified Chinese: 随县; traditional Chinese: 隨縣; pinyin: Suí Xian, Suixian), is a prefecture-level city in northern Hubei province, People's Republic of China, bordering Henan province to the north and east.
Suizhou Qingnian Road Lieshan Avenue intersection, eastern view
Location of Suizhou City in Hubei
|Coordinates (Suizhou government): Coordinates:|
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Municipal seat||Zengdu District|
|• CPC Secretary||Ma Qingming (马清明)|
|• Mayor||Liu Xiaoming|
|• Total||9,636 km2 (3,720 sq mi)|
|Elevation||71 m (232 ft)|
|• Density||270/km2 (690/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
|ISO 3166 code||CN-HB-13|
The Sui in Suizhou is derived from the ancient 'Suishizu'.
- Zengdu District (曾都区)
- Guangshui City (广水市)
- Sui County (随县)
- Suizhou Economic Development Area (随州经济开发区)
- Dahongshan Scenic Area (随州大洪山风景名胜区)
Suizhou has a long history. During the Spring and Autumn Period and Warring States Period (771−221 BCE), it was the territory of the State of Sui/Zeng and within the cultural sphere of the State of Chu. As a prefecture-level city Suizhou has a short history with its current status only granted by the State Council in June 2000.
The Catholic minority is pastorally served by its own (dormant?) pre-diocesan Apostolic Prefecture of Suixian 隨縣 which is exempt, i.e. directly dependent on the Holy See (and its missionary Roman Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples), not part of any ecclesiastical province.
It was established on 1937.06.17 as Apostolic Prefecture of Suixian 隨縣 (中文) / Suihsien / Suihsienen(sis) (Latin adjective), on territory split off from the Apostolic Vicariate of Hankou 漢口).
It is vacant since 1951, without apostolic administrator since 1981, having had only the following incumbents :
Suizhou is served by the Hankou–Danjiangkou Railway.
- 历史沿岸 (in Chinese). Suizhou People's Government. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- 2016年统计用区划代码和城乡划分代码：随州市 [2016 Statistical Area Numbers and Rural-Urban Area Numbers: Suizhou City] (in Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. 2016. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
统计用区划代码 名称 421301000000 市辖区 421303000000 曾都区 421321000000 随县 421381000000 广水市
- 随州市行政区划 [Suizhou City Administrative Divisions] (in Chinese). Suizhou People's Government. 22 January 2016. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- 随州市历史沿革 [Suizhou City Historical Development]. XZQH.org. 7 December 2011. Retrieved 12 April 2018.