She was a fourth-grade teacher, chef, and food writer before becoming an artist. She worked in the Georgia public school system in the late 60s, during integration, and was the first white teacher in an all-black school. While on maternity leave with her son, Kreitzman began cooking, ultimately choosing to leave her teaching career and become a cook. She wrote 27 cooking books and food articles for major publications.
Kreitzman joined Britain’s Outsider Art scene was she was 58 years old, painting with nail polish and using abandoned scraps and items to create her art. She is a member of the Color Tribe at Spitafields Market, a group of East London artists. Her own clothing is made from fabrics curated at flea markets and second-hand shops.
Exhibits and public appearancesEdit
She showed at her first exhibit in 2005 at the Raw Arts Exhibit. In 2008, she curated and formed the Wild Old Woman (WOW) exhibit in Novas Gallery, bringing together 14 self-taught older female artists.
Kreitzman was featured in Fabulous Fashionistas and the Bright Old Things campaign for Selfridges, with an installation facing Regent’s Street and Oxford Street. In 2019, she showed her art at the Voices of East London store in Bicester Village in King’s Cross.
- Sawyer, Miranda (2016-01-03). "Artist Sue Kreitzman on her colourful style: 'I am the art; the art is me – this is the inside of my head'". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- "My Spitalfields: Artist Sue Kreitzman Reveals Her True Colours". Old Spitalfields Market. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- Agnew, Interviews by Megan. "Relative Values: Sue Kreitzman, a TV personality and "outsider artist", and her husband, Steve, research director at the Howard Foundation". ISSN 0140-0460. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- Watts, Peter (2019-11-05). "Say no to Marie Kondo: inside the homes that are (stylishly) bursting with clutter". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- "Sue Kreitzman's Style Philosophy". Senior Planet. 2017-09-18. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- Magazine, SUITCASE. "Sue Kreitzman: Portrait of an Artist". SUITCASE Magazine. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- "Dare to Wear by WOW and Sue Kreitzman | The Womens Room". www.thewomensroomblog.com. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- Pender, Danielle. "Changing Careers At 50 & Growing Old Fabulously With Artist Sue Kreitzman". www.refinery29.com. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- "How to wear your art - A style interview with Sue Kreitzman". 40+ Style. 2015-11-25. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- "Interview with Outsider Artist and Bow local: Sue Kreitzman". Roman Road LDN. 2018-06-19. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- "Sue Kreitzman: 'My house is like entering another universe'". CNN. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- WomenRockProject (2016-02-05). "Sue Kreitzman - Writer, Artist, Curator". Women Rock Project. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- "Sue Kreitzman at Selfridges | Raw Vision Magazine". rawvision.com. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- "Sue Kreitzman, 74 –". Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- Jermyn, Deborah; Holmes, Susan (2015-08-11). Women, Celebrity and Cultures of Ageing: Freeze Frame. Springer. ISBN 978-1-137-49512-9.
- "Celebrating the 'retirement renaissance' with Selfridges' Bright Old Things". DisneyRollerGirl. 2015-01-15. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- "OUR COLLABORATION WITH SUE KREITZMAN FOR SELFRIDGES". Tatty Devine. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- Begum-Hossain, Momtaz (2019-05-30). "10 Style Commandments from Sue Kreitzman". Craft and Travel. Retrieved 2020-04-28.