(January – June 2019)
|First issue||7 October 2009|
Mike Soutar, former editor-in-chief of FHM and editorial director at IPC, is CEO. Phil Hilton is Editorial Director, Lisa Smosarski is Editor and Glenda Marchant is Publisher. Stylist was previously published by Shortlist Media Ltd, which also owns ShortList. After the closure of the print edition of ShortList, 'Shortlist Media Ltd' rebranded as 'The Stylist Group'.
Audience and contentEdit
Stylist targets affluent 20 to 40-year-old female commuters with high end content that includes fashion, travel, beauty, people and careers news. The magazine aims to take an intelligent approach, covering a broader range of culture and tackling issues women face in their professional and personal lives.
Stylist has featured Hollywood stars Angelina Jolie, Penélope Cruz, Jennifer Lopez and Jennifer Aniston on the cover as well as Hillary Clinton, comedian Tina Fey, activist Emma González and classicist Mary Beard. Stylist has commissioned children's author and illustrator Quentin Blake and artist Rob Ryan to create bespoke front covers.
Stylist magazine has an average distribution of 424,107 copies per week.
Stylist conducts the annual Stylist Skincare Awards judged by readers and experts which focus on innovative products launched within the last two years.
Distribution and expansionEdit
Stylist is distributed free every Wednesday in London, Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool and Birmingham, as well as in French Connection stores, airport lounges, city centre offices and gyms. It is also available by subscription.
In September 2010 Stylist launched its website, which contains re-edited content from the printed publication alongside daily updates. Each Friday at 1pm the website hosts Lunchtime Masterclasses, a live Q&A webchat with an inspiring, successful woman.
In April 2011 Stylist launched Emerald Street, a daily email covering fashion, beauty, current affairs and work advice.
In April 2013, Stylist launched a weekly edition in France, in a joint venture between Groupe Marie Claire and Shortlist Media. The magazine is distributed free every Thursday in nine cities including Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Aix‐en‐Provence, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Nantes, Lille and Strasbourg.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Stylist ceased producing paper copies of the magazine and switched to an online-only model as members of the public were encouraged to stay at home during the lockdown.
- "Stylist". ABC. 2019. Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- Shortlist’s free women’s weekly launches, Marketing Week
- Stylist revealed as ShortList's brand for women's free mag, Media Week
- ShortList shuts in print as publisher rebrands as The Stylist Group
- Stylist magazine storms on to free title scene, PR Week
- Stylist magazine celebrates first year's worth of covers, Campaign Live
- Stylist lines up Quentin Blake as new cover star, guardian.co.uk
- Mag ABCs: Cosmopolitan and Glamour suffer sales falls, Press Gazette
- Stylist launches website with daily content, Campaign Live
- Environ® Wins Stylist Magazine ‘Product of the Year’ Award, approvedbusiness.co.uk
- Stylist Magazine, Newstand
- Connecting Readers Through Events And Networking: Stylist Network, The Specialist Media Show
- Need to Know: Emerald Street, Gorkanapr
- Shortlist Media to launch French edition of Stylist
- Popular tablet edition of Stylist magazine scrapped after closure of Apple Newsstand leaves it 'high and dry'
- Tobbitt, Charlotte (23 March 2020). "Coronavirus: Time Out and Stylist free magazines go digital-only as readers stay home". Press Gazette. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- BSME Awards 2010
- Women of the Future Awards 2010
- Growing Business Awards 2010
- Brand of 2010, Brand Republic
- Johnson & Johnson Beauty Care Awards 2010