Stuart F. Delery
Stuart F. Delery is an American attorney who served as the acting United States Associate Attorney General from 2014 to 2016. In December 2020, it was announced that Delery would serve as Deputy Counsel to the President in the Biden administration.
|Deputy Counsel to the President|
|Assumed office |
January 20, 2021
Serving with Danielle Conley
|Preceded by||Patrick F. Philbin|
Michael M. Purpa
Scott F. Gast
Kate Comerford Todd
|United States Associate Attorney General|
|Preceded by||Tony West|
|Succeeded by||William Baer|
|United States Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Division|
|Preceded by||Tony West|
|Succeeded by||Benjamin C. Mizer (acting)|
|Education||University of Virginia (BA)|
Yale University (JD)
Delery earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Virginia and a Juris Doctor from Yale Law School. He served as a law clerk for Justices Sandra Day O'Connor and Byron White, in addition to Gerald Bard Tjoflat of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Delery joined the United States Department of Justice in 2009 as the chief of staff and counselor to the United States Deputy Attorney General. He later served as a senior counselor to the United States Attorney General. From March 2012 to September 2014, Delery served as the 35th Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Division. After the resignation of Tony West, Delery served as acting Associate Attorney General from 2014 to 2016 in an acting capacity. Delery stepped down from his position in April 2016.
Since leaving the Department of Justice, Delery has worked as a partner at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher in Washington, D.C., where he specializes in white collar defense, constitutional law, and national security. He also maintains a pro bono practice, where he specializes in LGBT and immigration cases.
- "Stuart F. Delery". Office of Justice Programs. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Gibson Dunn | Delery, Stuart F." Gibson Dunn. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "PN128 - Nomination of Stuart F. Delery for Department of Justice, 114th Congress (2015-2016)". www.congress.gov. 2015-12-18. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Stuart F. Delery | The Federalist Society". fedsoc.org. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- Apuzzo, Matt (2014-09-05). "Justice Dept. Promotes Lawyer to No. 3 Post (Published 2014)". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- Protess, Ben (2020-11-20). "S.&P. Nears Settlement With Justice Dept. Over Inflated Ratings". DealBook.
- "Justice Department's No. 3 Official Is Stepping Down". NPR.org. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Gibson Dunn | Stuart Delery, Third-Ranking DOJ Official, Joins Gibson Dunn in Washington, DC. Delery has been appointed as Deputy General Counsel to the President of the United States by Joseph Biden". Gibson Dunn. 2016-09-12. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Stuart Delery - Yale Law School". law.yale.edu. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Openly Gay Stuart Delery To Serve As Acting Associate Attorney General. Delery has a husband, Richard, and two children, Michael and Sebastian". On Top Magazine. Retrieved 2020-11-20.