Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir
Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir was a planned mixed martial arts event that was to be held by Strikeforce. The event was scheduled to take place on November 3, 2012 at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
|Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir|
|Venue||Chesapeake Energy Arena|
|City||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
The main event was expected to be see Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix champion Daniel Cormier face former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir. However, Mir was forced to withdraw due to injury. Though fellow UFC fighters Matt Mitrione (who declined the fight) & Pat Barry were possible replacements for Mir, the bout was eventually cancelled. The Cormier/Mir bout would eventually take place at UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez in April 2013, following Strikeforce's closure and Cormier's signing with the UFC. In the rescheduled match-up, Cormier won by unanimous decision.
A middleweight championship bout between champion Luke Rockhold and Lorenz Larkin was originally scheduled for this event, but was called off due to an injury to Rockhold. The bout was rescheduled for the promotion's last event Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine in January 2013, but both Rockhold and Larkin were replaced by Ronaldo Souza and UFC middleweight Ed Herman due to their own respective injuries.
On October 12, 2012, Strikeforce announced it was cancelling this event, the second in a row. Injuries to headliner Frank Mir, as well as co-headliner and middleweight champion Luke Rockhold were cited as the deciding factors for the cancellation. Following the cancellation, the bout between Tim Kennedy & Trevor Smith was rescheduled for Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine in January 2013, where Kennedy won via third round submission.
Cancelled fight cardEdit
Main card (Showtime)Edit
- Morgan, John (2012-09-03). "USA TODAY: Strikeforce heads to Oklahoma City for Daniel Cormier vs. Frank Mir". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-11-08. Retrieved 2012-09-03.
- Meltzer, Dave (2012-09-03). "Strikeforce: Mir vs. Cormier Heavyweights". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved 2012-09-03.
- Marrocco, Steven (2012-09-19). "Frank Mir injured, out of Strikeforce heavyweight fight against Daniel Cormier". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- staff (2012-09-04). "Strikeforce Heads to OKC with Cormier vs. Mir, Rockhold vs. Larkin November 3". UFC.com.
- Stupp, Dann (2012-10-12). "Strikeforce cancels Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, plans January return". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-11-09.
- staff (2012-09-20). "Tim Kennedy meets Trevor Smith at Strikeforce's November show in Oklahoma City". MMAjunkie.com.
- staff (2012-09-18). "Bobby Green vs. Jorge Masvidal targeted for 'Strikeforce:Cormier vs. Mir'". MMAjunkie.com.