Ed Herman (fighter)
Edward Benson "Ed" Herman (born October 2, 1980) is an American professional mixed martial artist currently competing in the Light Heavyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional competitor since 2002, Herman was a finalist on SpikeTV's The Ultimate Fighter 3, and has also competed for Strikeforce and Pancrase.
|Born||Edward Benson Herman|
October 2, 1980
Vancouver, Washington, United States
|Other names||Short Fuse|
|Residence||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Height||6 ft 1 1⁄2 in (1.87 m)|
|Weight||205 1⁄2 lb (93.2 kg; 14.68 st)|
Light Heavyweight (current)
|Reach||77 in (196 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Team||American Top Team Portland|
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-JitsuBlack belt in|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Herman was born and primarily raised in Vancouver, Washington by his father who competed in wrestling for The University of Iowa. Herman attended Columbia River High School where he competed in wrestling and football during his junior and senior years. Shortly after high school Herman began training in mixed martial arts at Team Quest.
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
The Ultimate FighterEdit
While on The Ultimate Fighter, he won a preliminary victory against Danny Abaddi via armbar submission. In the semifinals, he defeated Rory Singer via rear-naked choke submission. He then lost to Kendall Grove in the finals by unanimous decision. Despite his loss, Herman was subsequently awarded a contract by UFC president Dana White based on his performance.
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
At UFC Fight Night: Evans vs Salmon, Herman scored his first UFC victory in a Catchweight contest defeating Chris Price via armbar midway through round one. At the weigh in Herman made the 186 lb limit however Price did not take to the scales, coming back later that evening to record 192 lb.
Herman won his second consecutive UFC fight by defeating Scott Smith via rear-naked choke submission. This fight was held at UFC 72 in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Herman won Submission of the Night honors for his performance.
In Herman's fourth UFC fight, he took on Canadian fighter Joe Doerksen at UFC 78 who held a prior victory over Herman via submission. Herman avenged that loss, winning the fight by knocking Doerksen out in the third round and receiving Knockout of the Night honors in the process.
In his fight against Aaron Simpson, Herman's knee was caught in a bad position near the end of the first-round during a takedown, with his opponent landing on the knee. Herman most likely sustained a serious injury at this point, visibly having trouble putting any weight on the injured leg after the round ended. Herman seemed to recover, and answered the bell for the second round. Early in the second, however, Herman further injured his knee attempting a high-kick, causing him to collapse to the mat in pain and the fight to be stopped.
Herman faced Jake Shields on August 11, 2012 at UFC 150. Herman lost to Shields via unanimous decision. However, on October 12, 2012, it was revealed that Shields has tested positive for a banned substance and the result was overturned to a No Contest.
For the Strikeforce promotion's final show, Herman was allowed to step away from the UFC for one fight and signed to face Ronaldo Souza at Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine on January 12, 2013. Herman took the fight after several UFC fighters turned it down. He lost via submission in the first round.
Herman was expected to face Rafael Natal on November 16, 2013 at UFC 167. However, Natal was pulled from the pairing with Herman in favor of a bout with Tim Kennedy on November 6, 2013 in the event headliner at UFC Fight Night 31. Herman instead faced Thales Leites. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Herman was expected to face Derek Brunson on December 13, 2014 at UFC on Fox 13. However, the fight was scrapped just hours before the fight, as Brunson was stricken with a stomach ailment. Subsequently, the bout with Brunson was rescheduled and took place on January 31, 2015 at UFC 183. Herman lost the fight via TKO in the first round.
Herman faced Tim Boetsch in a light heavyweight bout on January 17, 2016 at UFC Fight Night: Dillashaw vs. Cruz. He won the fight via TKO in the second round and earned a Performance of the Night bonus.
Herman was expected to face Igor Pokrajac on March 4, 2017 at UFC 209. However, Pokrajac pulled out of the fight in early February citing an injury, and was replaced by Gadzhimurad Antigulov. Subsequently on February 20, Herman revealed that he was injured and would be unable to compete at the event.
Marking the first fight of his new four-fight contract with the UFC, Herman was expected to face Gadzhimurad Antigulov on November 9, 2019 at UFC on ESPN+ 21. However, on October 29, 2019 it was reported that Antigulov was pulled from the bout for undisclosed reason and he was replaced by Khadis Ibragimov. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Herman lives with his girlfriend Crystal and her daughter. The couple had twins in January 2008. Before becoming a full-time professional fighter, Herman worked as a bartender and bouncer. He also has a younger brother and two step-sisters. In September 2017, Herman lost the tip of the index finger on his left hand as a result of a DIY plumbing accident at his home.
Championships and accomplishmentsEdit
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- SportFight Light Heavyweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|40 matches||25 wins||14 losses|
|Win||25–14 (1)||Khadis Ibragimov||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Zabit vs. Kattar||November 9, 2019||3||5:00||Moscow, Russia|
|Win||24–14 (1)||Patrick Cummins||TKO (knee and punches)||UFC Fight Night: dos Anjos vs. Lee||May 18, 2019||1||3:39||Rochester, New York, United States|
|Loss||23–14 (1)||Gian Villante||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Volkan vs. Smith||October 27, 2018||3||5:00||Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada|
|Loss||23–13 (1)||C.B. Dollaway||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Redemption Finale||July 7, 2017||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||23–12 (1)||Nikita Krylov||KO (head kick)||UFC 201||July 30, 2016||2||0:40||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||23–11 (1)||Tim Boetsch||TKO (knee and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Dillashaw vs. Cruz||January 17, 2016||2||1:39||Boston, Massachusetts, United States||Return to Light Heavyweight. Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||22–11 (1)||Derek Brunson||TKO (punches)||UFC 183||January 31, 2015||1||0:36||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||22–10 (1)||Rafael Natal||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Brown vs. Silva||May 10, 2014||3||5:00||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||21–10 (1)||Thales Leites||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 167||November 16, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||21–9 (1)||Trevor Smith||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga||July 27, 2013||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||20–9 (1)||Ronaldo Souza||Submission (kimura)||Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine||January 12, 2013||1||3:10||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States||Catchweight (194 lbs) bout.|
|NC||20–8 (1)||Jake Shields||NC (overturned)||UFC 150||August 11, 2012||3||5:00||Denver, Colorado, United States||Shields win overturned as he tested positive for a banned diuretic.|
|Win||20–8||Clifford Starks||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 143||February 4, 2012||2||1:43||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||19–8||Kyle Noke||Submission (inverted heel hook)||UFC Live: Hardy vs. Lytle||August 14, 2011||1||4:15||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||18–8||Tim Credeur||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos Finale||June 4, 2011||1||0:48||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||17–8||Aaron Simpson||TKO (knee injury)||UFC 102||August 29, 2009||2||0:17||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||17–7||David Loiseau||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 97||April 18, 2009||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Loss||16–7||Alan Belcher||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Diaz vs. Neer||September 17, 2008||3||5:00||Omaha, Nebraska, United States|
|Loss||16–6||Demian Maia||Technical Submission (triangle choke)||UFC 83||April 19, 2008||2||2:27||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||16–5||Joe Doerksen||KO (punch)||UFC 78||November 17, 2007||3||0:39||Newark, New Jersey, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||15–5||Scott Smith||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 72||June 16, 2007||2||2:25||Belfast, Northern Ireland||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||14–5||Chris Price||Submission (armbar)||UFC Fight Night: Evans vs Salmon||January 25, 2007||1||2:58||Hollywood, Florida, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Loss||13–5||Jason MacDonald||Submission (triangle choke)||Ortiz vs. Shamrock 3: The Final Chapter||October 10, 2006||1||2:43||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Loss||13–4||Kendall Grove||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Ortiz vs. Team Shamrock Finale||June 24, 2006||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter Season 3 Middleweight final. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||13–3||Dave Menne||TKO (corner stoppage)||Extreme Challenge 63||July 23, 2005||1||5:00||Hayward, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||12–3||Nick Thompson||TKO (injury)||Hand 2 Hand Combat||June 17, 2005||1||N/A||Canton, Ohio, United States|
|Win||11–3||Rhomez Brower||Submission (armbar)||IFC: Mayhem in Montana||April 30, 2005||1||2:47||Billings, Montana, United States|
|Win||10–3||Glover Teixeira||Decision (unanimous)||SF 9: Respect||March 26, 2005||3||5:00||Gresham, Oregon, United States||Won the SportFight Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Loss||9–3||Joe Doerksen||Technical Submission (triangle choke)||SF 7: Frightnight||October 23, 2004||3||2:12||Gresham, Oregon, United States|
|Win||9–2||Brian Ebersole||Submission (triangle choke)||SF 5: Stadium||August 28, 2004||2||N/A||Gresham, Oregon, United States|
|Loss||8–2||Kazuo Misaki||Technical Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Pancrase: 2004 Neo-Blood Tournament Final||July 25, 2004||2||3:31||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||8–1||Shane Davis||Submission (armbar)||SF 4: Fight For Freedom||June 26, 2004||3||N/A||Gresham, Oregon, United States|
|Win||7–1||Cory Devela||Submission (armbar)||Pride and Fury||June 3, 2004||1||3:20||Worley, Idaho, United States|
|Win||6–1||Jacen Flynn||Submission (armbar)||SF 3: Dome||April 17, 2004||2||3:48||Gresham, Oregon, United States|
|Win||5–1||Justin Hawes||Submission (armbar)||DesertBrawl 10||April 3, 2004||2||3:45||Bend, Oregon, United States|
|Win||4–1||Derek Downey||TKO (punches)||SF 1: Revolution||February 21, 2004||3||2:14||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||3–1||Rich Guerin||Submission (americana)||PPKA: Ultimate Fight Night 3||January 3, 2004||4||2:17||Yakima, Washington, United States|
|Win||2–1||Ryan Pope||Submission (armbar)||Desert Brawl 9||November 8, 2003||1||0:24||Bend, Oregon, United States|
|Loss||1–1||Shane Davis||Submission (armbar)||TQP: Sport Fight "Second Coming"||August 23, 2003||1||2:18||Gresham, Oregon, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ryan Pope||Submission (armbar)||Xtreme Ring Wars 2||May 10, 2003||1||2:38||Pasco, Washington, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Dos Santos vs. Miocic". UFC.com. Archived from the original on December 15, 2014. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- "UFC on FOX 8′s Ed Herman on $200 paydays, sketchy hotels and now-veteran status". MMAjunkie.com. July 23, 2013.
- Kyle Symes (January 11, 2013). "Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza vs. Ed Herman: Head-to-Toe Breakdown". Bleacher Report.
- Ariel Shnerer. "UFC 150: Main card preview". Fox Sports. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-11-13. Retrieved 2013-07-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Tim Credeur vs. Ed Herman Targeted For TUF 13 Finale". Heavy.com. February 19, 2011.
- "Tom Lawlor Injured, Off UFC on Versus 5 Card, Ed Herman Now Faces Kyle Noke". bloodyelbow.com. July 8, 2011.
- "UFC on Versus 5 Play-by-Play: Ed Herman vs. Kyle Noke". MMAWeekly.com. August 13, 2011.
- "Ed Herman vs. Clifford Starks Added to UFC 143". mmafighting.com. December 28, 2011.
- "Jake Shields vs. Ed Herman slated for UFC 150 in Denver". mmajunkie.com. April 30, 2012. Archived from the original on May 5, 2012.
- "Colorado commission confirms Shields' suspension, UFC 150 win changed to no-contest". mmajunkie.com. October 15, 2012. Archived from the original on January 3, 2013. Retrieved October 15, 2012.
- "STRIKEFORCE® MARQUARDT VS. SAFFIEDINE". strikeforce.com. 2012-11-30.
- "Ed Herman vs. Trevor Smith added to July's UFC on FOX 8 event". mmajunkie.com. April 26, 2013.
- Staff (2013-07-27). "UFC on FOX 8 bonuses: Johnson, Guillard, Herman, Smith earn $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2013-07-30. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- Dana Becker (September 16, 2013). "UFC 167 Adds Ed Herman-Rafael Natal". fightline.com.
- Staff. "Tim Kennedy gets Rafael Natal at UFC's 'Fight for the Troops 3'". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- Staff. "Thales Leites replaces Rafael Natal, faces Ed Herman at UFC 167". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- Staff. "Ed Herman vs. Rafael Natal joins UFC Fight Night in Cincinnati". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Staff (2014-09-18). "Derek Brunson vs. Ed Herman slated for UFC on FOX 13 in Phoenix". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- Staff (2014-12-13). "Derek Brunson stomach issue forces late scratch of UFC on FOX 13 fight with Ed Herman". mmajunkie.com.
- Tristen Critchfield (2014-12-16). "Derek Brunson-Ed Herman Middleweight Bout rebooked for UFC 183 on Jan. 31". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-12-16.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-09-30). "Tim Boetsch vs. Ed Herman added to UFC Fight Night 81". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- Jesse Holland (September 17, 2015). "Report: Ed Herman jumps to 205, fights Tim Boetsch at UFC Fight Night 81". mmamania.com. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-01-17). "UFC Fight Night 81 results: Ed Herman knocks out Tim Boetsch in second round". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-01-18). "UFC Fight Night Bonuses: Cruz, Dillashaw, Herman, Sanders pocket $50K checks". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-01-18.
- Staff (2016-06-03). "Nikita Krylov vs. Ed Herman set for UFC 201". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-07-30). "UFC 201 results: Nikita Krylov lays out Ed Herman with second-round head kick". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-30.
- Dave Doyle (2017-01-11). "Igor Pokrajac vs. Ed Herman set for UFC 209". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-01-11.
- Marcel Dorff (2017-02-07). "Igor Pokrajac out, Gadzimurad Antigulov against Ed Herman at UFC 209" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- Jordan Breen (2017-02-20). "Ed Herman reveals injury, Gadzhimurad Antigulov in need for new opponent for UFC 209 on March 9". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2017-02-20.
- Dana Becker (2017-05-05). "The Ultimate Fighter 25 Finale card secures four bouts". mmanews.com. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "TUF 25 Finale results: C.B. Dollaway earns hard-fought unanimous decision vs. Ed Herman". MMAjunkie. 2017-07-08. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- Aaron Bronsteter (2018-08-07). "Canadian Cirkunov to fight at UFC Fight Night in Moncton". tsn.ca.com. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- "UFC Moncton results: Gian Villante edges Ed Herman via split decision". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-10-28.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-03-15). "Light-Heavyweights Patrick Cummins and Ed Herman fight during UFC Rochester" (in Dutch). mmadnanl.com. Retrieved 2019-03-15.
- Shillan, Keith (2019-05-18). "UFC Rochester Results: Ed Herman Snaps Losing Streak with TKO of Patrick Cummins". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-05-19.
- Redactie (2019-08-26). "Ed Herman vs. Gadzhimurad Antigulov added to UFC Moscow". mmadna.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2019-08-26.
- Steven Marrocco (September 5, 2019). "Ed Herman inks new four-fight deal, faces Gadzhimurad Antigulov at UFC on ESPN+ 21". mmajunkie.com.
- DNA, MMA. "BREAKING: Khadis Ibragimov pakt short notice partij tegen Ed Herman in Moskou". Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- Quinlan, Charles W.; Fiato, Rocco Anthony; Bienstock, Martin G.; Ansell, Lauren Mike (2005). "Advanced Gas-To-Liquids Technology: AGC-21". International Petroleum Technology Conference. doi:10.2523/iptc-10642-ms.
- "10 Questions With Ed Herman (2/1/2008)". DARRICKPATRICK>LIVEJOURNAL.com. 2008-02-01. Archived from the original on 2011-08-14. Retrieved 2010-05-03.
- Staff (2017-09-14). "UFC middleweight Ed Herman now has some gauze for that gross finger". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- Sherdog.com. "Ed". Sherdog. Retrieved 2018-11-10.