Steven S. DeKnight
Steven S. DeKnight (born April 8, 1964) is an American screenwriter, television producer, and director. He is best known for being the creator, head writer, and executive producer of the Starz series Spartacus, including Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, Spartacus: Vengeance, and Spartacus: War of the Damned.
Steven S. DeKnight
DeKnight at the San Diego Comic-Con International in July 2010.
|Occupation||Screenwriter, television producer, television director, showrunner|
DeKnight previously worked on Smallville, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel. He also wrote "Swell", a story in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer season eight comic series, and served as a consulting producer on Joss Whedon's television series Dollhouse.
In May 2014, DeKnight was reported to be taking over showrunning duties for the first season on the Netflix exclusive television series Daredevil from Drew Goddard, after Goddard's departure due to scheduling conflicts with directing Sinister Six. He was later replaced by Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez to serve as co-showrunners for the second season of the series.
In 2015, DeKnight joined the Transformers Cinematic Universe franchise's writers room, where Paramount Pictures hired multiple noted screenwriters to flesh out the future of the film series. He directed the science fiction sequel Pacific Rim: Uprising. The original film's director, Guillermo del Toro, remained on the film in the role of producer.
On July 17, 2018, it was announced that DeKnight will be credited as a show-runner and executive producer alongside Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Dan McDermott in the upcoming Netflix science-fiction series, Jupiter's Legacy. On September 16, 2019, it was confirmed that DeKnight departed the series as a showrunner over creative differences in the midst of the production for the first season.
|2018||Pacific Rim: Uprising||Yes||No||Yes||Feature film directorial debut;|
Co-writer with Emily Carmichael, Kira Snyder, and T.S. Nowlin
|2000–2002||Buffy the Vampire Slayer||No||Yes||No||Writer (5 episodes);|
Story editor (season 6)
|2002–2004||Angel||Yes||Yes||Yes||Director (3 episodes);|
Writer (12 episodes);
Producer and supervising producer (season 5)
|2004-2007||Smallville||Yes||Yes||No||Director (2 episodes);|
Writer (15 episodes)
|2009||Dollhouse||Yes||Yes||No||Writer and director (1 episode);|
Consulting producer (season 1)
Writer (10 episodes)
|2015||Daredevil||Yes||Yes||Yes||Showrunner (season 1);|
Director (1 episode);
Writer (3 episodes)
- "Spartacus: Blood and Sand cast and crew". Retrieved January 30, 2010.
- Goldberg, Lesley (May 24, 2014). "Marvel's Netflix Drama 'Daredevil' Taps New Showrunner (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
- Fleming, Jr, Mike (June 8, 2015). "'Daredevil's Steven DeKnight Rounds Out 'Transformers' Writers Room". Deadline.
- "Pacific Rim 2: Steven S. DeKnight to Direct". 23 February 2016.
- Kit, Borys; Goldberg, Lesley (July 17, 2018). "'Jupiter's Legacy' Series, 'Empress' Film Among Mark Millar's First Netflix Slate". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- "Netflix announces first slate of series and films based on the stories of Mark Millar". Netflix Media Center. July 17, 2018. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 16, 2019). "'Jupiter's Legacy': Showrunner Steven S. DeKnight Exits As Filming Of Netflix Series Continues". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 16, 2019.
- "Damon Lindelof, Hart Hanson Among Top Showrunners Posting Termination Letters In Wake Of Failed WGA-ATA Negotiations". Deadline.