Brault with the Pirates in 2018
|Pittsburgh Pirates – No. 43|
|Born: April 29, 1992|
La Mesa, California
|July 5, 2016, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Earned run average||4.88|
Brault grew up as a fan of the San Diego Padres. He graduated from Grossmont High School in El Cajon, California. As a senior at Grossmont, he compiled an 8-1 record with a 2.56 ERA along with batting .378. He was undrafted out of high school.
Brault played college baseball at Regis University, where he majored in vocal performance. As a junior, he started 11 games and was 8–3 with a 2.63 ERA, striking out 103 and walking only 18 in 78.2 innings. He was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 11th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball draft and he signed.
After signing, Brault made his professional debut with the Aberdeen IronBirds and spent the remainder of 2013 there, going 1–2 with a 2.09 ERA in 12 starts. He spent 2014 with the Delmarva Shorebirds and Frederick Keys, compiling a combined 11–8 record and 2.77 ERA in 25 games (24 starts).
On February 20, 2015, Brault was sent from the Orioles to the Pittsburgh Pirates as the player to be named later from an earlier trade for Travis Snider. He started his Pirates career with the Bradenton Marauders and was later promoted to the Altoona Curve. In 28 starts between both clubs, Brault pitched to a 13–4 record, a 2.43 ERA, and a 1.12 WHIP. He began 2016 with the Indianapolis Indians.
The Pirates promoted Brault to the major leagues to make his debut on July 5, 2016, at Busch Stadium against the St. Louis Cardinals. He pitched four innings in which he gave up two runs (one earned) while walking two and striking out five as Pittsburgh defeated St. Louis 5–2. He was optioned back to Indianapolis the next day. Brault was recalled and optioned multiple times during the season, with his final call-up of the year being September 2. In 16 games (15 starts) for the Indians, he was 2–7 with a 3.91 ERA, and in eight games (seven starts) for Pittsburgh, he was 0–3 with a 4.86 ERA. Brault began 2017 with Indianapolis. He was recalled twice before he was called up for the remainder of the season on August 22. In 21 starts for the Indians, he pitched to a 10–5 record and 1.94 ERA, and in 11 games (four starts) for the Pirates, he was 1–0 with a 4.67 ERA.
Brault began 2018 in Pittsburgh's bullpen but was moved into the starting rotation because of an injury to Joe Musgrove. However, after compiling a 5.54 ERA through five starts, he was moved into the bullpen. He ended the season with an ERA of 4.61 in 45 games (5 starts). He struck out 82 in 91 2⁄3 innings.
On June 19, 2018, Brault sang the "The Star-Spangled Banner" at PNC Park before the Pirates' next game against the Milwaukee Brewers. He had sung the National Anthem before games in the minor leagues, and also participated in theater and choir programs in his childhood.
At Regis University, Brault majored in music performance with a vocal performance emphasis. While not playing baseball, he is the lead singer of "Street Gypsies," a band based out of his hometown of San Diego. He also runs a podcast with fellow Pirate Trevor Williams called "IMHO" in which they will have usually another Pirate and rank subjects outside of baseball.
- "Well, let's try this. My name is Steven Brault, I'm a Minor Leaguer for the Pittsburgh Pirates. AMA. • /r/baseball".
- "Grossmont alumnus is a rock star on the mound and on the stage". East County Californian. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- "Brault making sweet music in Altoona". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- "Regis Junior Southpaw Steven Brault Drafted in 11th Round of MLB Draft by Baltimore Orioles". Archived from the original on February 25, 2016. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "Pirates get lefty prospect Steven Brault to complete Travis Snider deal with Orioles". Major League Baseball. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- John Maffei (August 25, 2015). "Brault making sweet music in Altoona". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- Bill West (July 11, 2015). "Minor league report: Brault at his best when being deceptive". TribLIVE.com. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "Jameson Taillon put on the disabled list, Steven Brault to start Tuesday".
- "Steven Brault impresses Pirates in MLB debut". MLB.com.
- "Steven Brault Stats, Highlights, Bio – MiLB.com Stats – The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- "Pirates pitcher Steven Brault, who wants to be a starter, made his spot start count".
- "Pirates' Steven Brault: Officially shifted to bullpen". CBS Sports. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- "Performing Tuesday's national anthem at PNC Park was none other than Pirates pitcher Steven Brault". MLB. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- "Pitch perfect: Steven Brault's journey from music to the mound". Ball State Spring Training 2017.
- "Steven Brault & The Street Gypsies – Creative Spotlight – The Clubhouse Mag". November 13, 2016.
- "Steven Brault, Trevor Williams host Podcast". MLB.com. January 10, 2018.