Stephen Robinson (footballer)
Stephen Robinson (born 10 December 1974) is a football player and coach, who is currently manager of Scottish Premiership side Motherwell. During his career he played for Tottenham Hotspur, Leyton Orient, Bournemouth, Preston North End, Bristol City, Luton Town and Northern Ireland. Robinson also had a short spell as manager of Oldham Athletic.
|Full name||Stephen Robinson|
|Date of birth||10 December 1974|
|Place of birth||Lisburn, Northern Ireland|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|1994||→ Leyton Orient (loan)||0||(0)|
|2000–2002||Preston North End||24||(1)|
|2002||→ Bristol City (loan)||6||(1)|
|1989||Northern Ireland U16||1||(0)|
|1991||Northern Ireland U18||2||(1)|
|1994||Northern Ireland U21||1||(0)|
|1994–1998||Northern Ireland B||4||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Early and personal lifeEdit
Robinson began his career with the Tottenham Hotspur youth system as a trainee, signing a professional contract in January 1994. He joined Bournemouth due to the lack of first team opportunities at Tottenham. After a highly successful time at Bournemouth, Robinson joined Preston North End in 2000. After failing to force himself into Preston's starting XI, he joined Bristol City on loan until the end of the 2001–02 season.
After this he joined Luton Town for a fee of £50,000 in 2002. He was forced to play on the right-wing by then manager Joe Kinnear, despite his position being an attacking centre-midfielder in his Bournemouth days. New manager Mike Newell soon reverted Robinson to his favoured central-midfield role, and he was rewarded with a League One championship in 2005, and a tenth-place finish in the Championship in 2006. During the 2006–07 season, Robinson captained the side in Chris Coyne's absence and was handed a new two-year contract by Hatters boss Mike Newell. On 26 July 2008 Robinson agreed to a mutual termination of his contract at Luton.
Robinson was capped internationally by Northern Ireland on seven occasions from 1997 to 2007. He also played for the under-16 (one cap), under-18 (two caps, one goal), under-21 (one cap) and B (four caps, one goal) teams.
Robinson joined Motherwell in February 2015, to assist manager Ian Baraclough. He also assisted the Northern Ireland national team, working with Michael O'Neill, that qualified for UEFA Euro 2016. Robinson was previously manager of the under-age Northern Ireland squads, working for the Irish Football Association.
Robinson returned to Motherwell in February 2017, this time to assist Mark McGhee as first team coach. Less than two weeks later, Robinson took over as interim manager following McGhee's departure from the club. He was subsequently appointed as manager on a permanent basis in March 2017. On 13 October 2017, Manager Robinson extended his contract with Motherwell until May 2020.
On 22 October 2017, Robinson guided Motherwell to the Scottish League Cup final after defeating Pedro Caixinha's Rangers 2–0 at Hampden. The game saw both managers sent to the stands for their behaviour on the touchline. They were defeated in the final 2–0 by Celtic. In April 2018, Motherwell won in the 2017–18 Scottish Cup semi-finals, overcoming Aberdeen 3–0, to set up another final with Celtic the following month; this was the first time the club had appeared in both domestic finals since the 1950–51 season.
- As of match played 5 October 2019
|Oldham Athletic||9 July 2016||12 January 2017||33||7||11||15||21.2|
|Motherwell||28 February 2017||Present||121||56||19||46||46.3|
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2005). The PFA Premier & Football League Players' Records 1946–2005. Queen Anne Press. p. 530. ISBN 1-85291-665-6.
- "Stephen Robinson". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- "Latics fight off rivals for Robbo's signature". www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk.
- "Robinson, Steve". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- "Steve Robinson". NIFG. 12 September 2007. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- "Motherwell appoint Steve Robinson as assistant manager". BBC Sport. BBC. 13 February 2015. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- "Stephen Robinson: Oldham appoint Northern Ireland assistant as new manager". BBC Sport. BBC. 9 July 2016. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- "Well Return: Stephen Robinson set for return to Motherwell as first team coach". The Scottish Sun. News Group. 17 February 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Club statement: Mark McGhee". Motherwell FC. 28 February 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Mark McGhee: Motherwell part with manager after run of bad results". BBC Sport. BBC. 28 February 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Motherwell: Stephen Robinson appointed manager at Fir Park". BBC Sport. 15 March 2017. Retrieved 15 March 2017.
- "Robinson signs extended deal". motherwellfc.co.uk. Motherwell F.C. 13 October 2017. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- McVake, Roddie (22 October 2017). "Rangers 0-2 Motherwell". BBC Sport. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "Motherwell 0–2 Celtic". BBC Sport. 26 November 2017. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "Main fires Motherwell to final". Sky Sports. 14 April 2018. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "Motherwell: Liam Grimshaw delighted with club's double final feat". BBC Sport. BBC. 16 April 2018. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "Motherwell: Clubs have duty of care for players' wellbeing - Robinson". 27 September 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Managers: Steve Robinson". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
- Stephen Robinson at Soccerbase