Stephen Johns (ice hockey)
Stephen Johns (born April 18, 1992) is an American professional ice hockey defenseman. He is currently playing with the Dallas Stars of the National Hockey League (NHL). Johns was selected by the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2nd round (60th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.
April 18, 1992|
Wampum, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||234 lb (106 kg; 16 st 10 lb)|
|NHL team||Dallas Stars|
60th overall, 2010|
Johns then played four seasons (2010–2014) of NCAA Division I hockey with the Notre Dame Fighting Irish men's ice hockey team, helping Notre Dame to win the 2013 CCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament. As a sophomore Johns was selected to compete with Team USA at the 2012 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships, and in his senior year his outstanding play was recognized when he was named to the Hockey East Second All-Star Team and also to the 2014 Hockey East All Tournament Team.
On April 2, 2014, the Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League (NHL) signed Johns to a two-year, entry-level contract to begin with the 2014–15 NHL season, but he was immediately assigned to begin his professional career with the Blackhawks' AHL affiliate, the Rockford IceHogs on a professional try-out contract.
On July 10, 2015, Johns and Patrick Sharp were traded by the Blackhawks to the Dallas Stars in exchange for Trevor Daley and Ryan Garbutt. After attending his first training camp with the Stars, Johns was reassigned to their AHL affiliate, the Texas Stars, to begin the 2015–16 season. Having passed his previous season's offensive numbers, he received his first NHL recall by the Dallas Stars and made his debut in a 5–2 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks on March 12, 2016. He recorded his first career NHL goal on March 17, 2016 and the following day signed a two-year contract with the Stars.
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2008–09||USA National Development Team||NAHL||31||3||5||8||30||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||USA National Development Team||USHL||23||1||7||8||29||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Notre Dame Fighting Irish||CCHA||44||2||11||13||98||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||Notre Dame Fighting Irish||CCHA||39||4||6||10||71||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Notre Dame Fighting Irish||CCHA||41||1||13||14||62||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||Notre Dame Fighting Irish||HE||40||8||12||20||69||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honorsEdit
|IIHF World U18 Championship Gold Medal (Team USA)||2010|||
|CCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament Champion||2013|||
|CCHA All-Tournament Team||2013|||
|Hockey East Second All-Star Team||2014|||
|Hockey East All-Tournament Team||2014|||
- "Pee-Wee players who have reached NHL or WHA" (PDF). Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament. 2018. Retrieved February 16, 2019.
- "Stephen Johns prospect profile". Hockey'sFuture.com. March 14, 2012. Retrieved March 4, 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Notre Dame wins final CCHA championship". bigstory.org. April 21, 2013. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- "All-Star teams announced". Hockey East. April 1, 2014. Retrieved April 1, 2014. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Blackhawks agree to terms with Stephen Johns". CSN Chicago. April 2, 2014. Archived from the original on April 5, 2014. Retrieved April 2, 2014. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Stephen Johns in Puck Chatter". Thethirdmanin.com. April 3, 2014. Retrieved April 3, 2014. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Odds and Saads; Stephen Johns signing notes, Hartman debuts; Bollig, Raanta, Blackhawks and IceHogs bits". Thethirdmanin.com. April 5, 2014. Retrieved April 5, 2014. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Lazerus, Mark (July 10, 2015). "Blackhawks trade Patrick Sharp to Dallas Stars". Chicago Sun-Times. Archived from the original on July 12, 2015. Retrieved July 10, 2015.
- "Spezza scores in 5th straight, Stars beat Blackhawks 5–2". The Chronicle Herald. March 12, 2016. Retrieved June 8, 2018.
- "Spezza scored in 5th straight, Stars defeat Blackhawks". Winona Daily News. March 12, 2016. Retrieved March 12, 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
|publisher=(help)[permanent dead link]
- Hunt, Steve (March 18, 2016). "Stars sign Johns to two-year contract". NHL.com. Retrieved June 8, 2018.
- "Five Reasons Team USA Won Gold". The United States of Hockey. January 7, 2013. Retrieved January 12, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Notre Dame tops Michigan 3–1 to win final CCHA Championship game". The Mining Journal. April 15, 2013. Retrieved April 15, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Notre Dame Claims Final CCHA Crown". goironpigs.com. May 1, 2013. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "Stephen Johns inks Two-Year Entry Level contract with Chicago Blackhawks". University of Notre Dame. April 3, 2014. Retrieved April 3, 2014. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "2013–14 Hockey East Media Guide". Hockey East. May 19, 2014. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "2014 Hockey East All Tournament Team". Hockey East. April 15, 2014. Retrieved April 15, 2014. Italic or bold markup not allowed in: