Stephan Talty (born c.1960) is an Irish American journalist and author born in New York to parents from County Clare. He is famous for creating the character of Abbie Kearney, a fictional female detective who pursues serial killers in Buffalo, New York.
Talty attended Bishop Timon High School in New York and Amherst College in Massachusetts, before finding employment as a journalist with the Miami Herald. During the 1990s, he went freelance in Dublin and New York, and contributed articles for the New York Times Magazine, GQ, Playboy, the Irish Times, and the Chicago Review.
In addition to writing detective fiction, Talty has written several nonfiction books on crime and American history. He cowrote the book that was the basis for Captain Phillips, and wrote The Black Hand, a novelization about the killing of Italian American cop Joe Petrosino in 1909.
In 2013, the movie Captain Phillips was released in the US, directed by Paul Greengrass and starring Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi. The screenplay by Billy Ray was based on the 2010 book "A Captain's Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy Seals, and Dangerous Days at Sea" by Richard Phillips with Stephan Talty as co-writer.
In 2017, Paramount Pictures announced that it had acquired the movie rights to Talty's upcoming novel The Black Hand. Leonardo DiCaprio will star as Joe Petrosino, and the film is due for release in 2018.
- Mulatto America: At the Crossroads of Black and White Culture: A Social History (2004)
- Empire of Blue Water - Captain Morgan’s Great Pirate Army (2008)
- The Illustrious Dead: The Terrifying Story of How Typhus Killed Napoleon's Greatest Army (2009)
- A Captain's Duty (2010), with captain Richard Phillips
- Escape from the Land of Snows: The Young Dalai Lama's Harrowing Flight to Freedom and the Making of a Spiritual Hero (2010)
- Agent Garbo (2012)
- Black Irish: A Novel (2013)
- Hangman: A Novel (2014)
- Operation Cowboy: The Secret American Mission to Save the World’s Most Beautiful Horses in the Last Days of World War II (2014)
- The Secret Agent: In Search of America's Greatest World War II Spy (2014)
- War Hero: The Unlikely Story of A Stray Dog, An American Soldier and the Battle of Their Lives (2015)
- The Black Hand (2017) (a novel about the crime organization)
- Speed Girl: Janet Guthrie and the Race That Changed Sports Forever (2017)
- Saving Bravo: The Greatest Rescue Mission in Navy SEAL History (2018)
- Captain Phillips (2013)
- The Black Hand (2018)
- "The return of Stephan Talty's Buffalo Homicide Cop Abbie Kearney". buffalonews.com. 16 May 2014.
- "About - Stephan Talty". stephantalty.com.
- Busch, Anita (31 January 2017). "Paramount Acquires 'The Black Hand' For Leonardo DiCaprio To Star For The Gotham Group And Appian Way". deadline.com.
- "Leonardo DiCaprio to star in film about the precursor to the American Mafia". independent.co.uk.
- Stephan,, Talty,. Saving Bravo : the greatest rescue mission in Navy SEAL history. Boston. ISBN 9781328866721. OCLC 1016476603.