Stefan Robert Welch (born 12 August 1988 in Adelaide, Australia) is an Australian professional baseball first baseman for the Adelaide Bite of the Australian Baseball League. He Had played for the New York Mets, Pittsburgh Pirates and Boston Red Sox organisations.
|Adelaide Bite – No. 26|
|Third baseman / First baseman|
|Born: 12 August 1988|
New York MetsEdit
He was scouted by Australian national coach Tony Harris in 2005 and eventually signed with the New York Mets in 2005 at the age of 16. In 2006, Welch made his Claxton Shield debut for the South Australia Bite where he went 0 for 1 with 3 walks. He made his pro debut in 2007 for the GCL Mets where he batted .288 in his first season. In 2009, he was twice selected for the Australia national baseball team; in March for the 2009 World Baseball Classic, and again in September for the 2009 Baseball World Cup. Welch spent the 2010 and 2011 seasons with the Class A-Advanced St. Lucie Mets.
The Pittsburgh Pirates signed Welch in November 2011. He began the season with the Bradenton Marauders. In his first game with the Marauders, which was against St. Lucie, Welch was hit by a Ryan Fraser pitch with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 11th inning, to score Gift Ngoepe and give the Marauders a walk-off win. Welch's first promotion to Double-A came in June 2012, when he was promoted to the Double-A Altoona Curve. In November 2012, Welch re-signed with the Pirates.
Boston Red SoxEdit
Welch played for the Adelaide Bite of the Australian Baseball League (ABL) from 2010-2017. After missing the 2017-18 season, Welch returned to the Bite for the 2018-19 season. After the conclusion of the season, Welch announced his retirement, leading the club in all time in games (284), hits (258), runs (160), home runs (35) and RBI (169) 
Stefan attended Norwood Morialta High School and graduated in 2006 He also played cricket, football, and basketball for local Adelaide clubs and school teams. He still currently plays Division 1 Baseball for the Goodwood Indians His mother, Karen Young, lives in South Australia and is the Accounts Manager at Bridgewater Constructions. His sister, Brooke Young, born in 1998, also lives in South Australia and studies at St. Peters Girls College His wife since 25 October 2014, Shannon Lodge currently lives in South Australia working as a Marketing & PR Manager and professional dancer. She also travels with Welch to the United States supporting him and his profession.
- Dominitz, N (10 July 2009) Welch comes from a land down under Archived 14 July 2012 at Archive.today. Savannah Morning News
- "WBC 2009 Roster". Major League Baseball. February 2009. Retrieved 30 June 2009.
- Sedgman, Cassandra (3 September 2009). "ABF Announce 2009 World Cup Team". Australian Baseball Federation. Archived from the original on 6 December 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- Langosch, Jenifer (23 November 2011). "Pirates sign six players to Minor League deals".
- Lembo, John (6 April 2012). "Bradenton Marauders win 'heart-pumper' opener in 11 innings". Bradenton Herald. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- Williams, Tim (14 June 2012). "Maggi and Chambers Promoted to Altoona, Plus Other Moves".
- Williams, Tim (7 November 2012). "Pirates Re-Sign Anderson Hernández, Stefan Welch".
- Welch farewelled in marathon doubleheader
- "The Norwood Morialta High School".
- "Goodwood Baseball Club".
- "St Peters Girls – ELC to Year 12 Private Girls School".
- "Search the Staff Directory".
- "Photo Gallery – Cheerleadering from around the world – Free National images – brisbanetimes.com.au".
- "Edge Concrete Company in Bristow, VA – Reviews – Bizapedia Profile".
- "Stefan Welch – BR Bullpen".