This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|First issue||1 November 1977|
|Company||Starburst Magazine Limited|
Starburst was launched in December 1977 by editor Dez Skinn with his own company Starburst Publishing Ltd. The name Starburst was settled on after rejecting other names, including Starfall, as Skinn considered it too negative. Starburst was then purchased by Marvel for publication of issue 4 onwards, as part of deal whereby Skinn was put in charge of the UK comic reprints division.
Starburst's review sections were edited by writers and reviewers such as Alan Jones (films) and David J. Howe (books), and, for several years, the magazine also carried a column by the writer John Brosnan. Its television review column, "TV Zone", was used as the title of its sister publication TV Zone.
The magazine's publication was put on hold due to Visual Imagination folding in early 2009, having reached issue #365. An online only version of the magazine existed following this closure. It returned to print by Starburst Magazine Ltd in February 2012 with issue #374.
Over its history, Starburst has been edited by the following people:
In early 2011 Starburst Magazine Ltd announced that Starburst would resume publication as an online magazine. Original creator Dez Skinn is the Honorary Editor-In-Chief. The first online issue (#366) was released on 14 May 2011, and carried an editorial by Dez Skinn. It is now based in Manchester, England. Starburst re-entered print publication in February 2012 with issue 374.
Starburst celebrated its 40 year anniversary with issue 443. The issue included an editorial by creator Dez Skinn.
Starburst Magazine also has the following Podcasts available from iTunes:
- Starburst Radio Podcast - The podcast of the Official Starburst Radio Show presented by Martin Unsworth and Mike Royce.
- The Blue Box Podcast - The Starburst Doctor Who podcast presented by JR Southall.
- Brave New Words - The Starburst Book and Graphic Novel podcast presented by Ed Fortune, the magazine's current literary editor.
- TV Zone Plus - The podcast of the TV Zone column, presented by TV Zone columnist, Paul Mount.
Starburst International Film FestivalEdit
From 26–28 August 2016 the first Starburst International Film Festival was held at Manchester Metropolitan Students Union Complex. Guests included Dez Skinn, Doug Naylor, Steve Pemberton, Toby Whithouse. The festival culminated in the Starburst Fantasy Awards 2016 on Sunday 28 August 2016 in which Doug Naylor won the Hall of Fame Award.
Starburst MediaCity FestivalEdit
With a sponsorship deal secured with MediaCityUK the second annual festival was slightly re-branded. Starburst MediaCity Festival was held From 16–17 March 2018. Guests included Dez Skinn, Tom Paton. Winners of the STARBURST Fantasy Awards 2018 included Emma Dark for Best Director with Salient Minus Ten, and Michael Melski for Best Feature with The Child Remains.
Starburst contains news, interviews, features and reviews of genre material in various media, including TV, film, soundtracks, multimedia, comics, books. Paul Mount has resumed his "TV Zone" column Jordan Royce has taken over the "It's Only a Movie" column previously penned by the late John Brosnan, and the assistant editor, Martin Unsworth hosts the popular "Horror Obscura" column.
- "In Praise Of Peter Beale". www.starburstmagazine.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Manchester Radio Online". Manchesterradioonline.com.
- "FAB Radio International". FAB Radio International. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "TV Zone - By veteran Paul Mount". www.starburstmagazine.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "It's Only A Movie - by Jordan Royce". www.starburstmagazine.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.