Star of Courage (Australia)
The Star of Courage (SC) is a bravery decoration awarded to Australians. It is awarded for acts of conspicuous courage in circumstances of great peril. The SC was created on 14 February 1975. The decoration recognises acts of bravery by members of the community. They selflessly put themselves in jeopardy to protect the lives or property of others. It is ranked second in the Australian civil bravery decorations in the Australian Honours System. Recipients of the Star of Courage are entitled to use the post-nominal letters "SC".
|Star of Courage|
Medal and ribbon
|Awarded by Australia|
|Eligibility||Australian Citizen or a Foreign Citizen acting on behalf of Australia or an Australian|
|Awarded for||"acts of conspicuous courage in circumstances of great peril"|
|Established||14 February 1975|
|Last awarded||24 July 2018|
|Order of Wear|
|Next (higher)||Star of Gallantry|
|Next (lower)||Distinguished Service Cross|
|Related||Cross of Valour|
Commendation for Brave Conduct
Group Bravery Citation
The Star of Courage is a silver, ribbed star with seven points ensigned with the Crown of Saint Edward. The obverse has the shield and crest of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms surmounted by a Federation Star.
Ribbon and barEdit
Section 102 of the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA) provides for the payment of an allowance called “decoration allowance” to a veteran who is in receipt of a disability pension under the VEA and who was awarded the Star of Courage for gallantry during a war or warlike operations covered by the VEA. At March 2008, this tax free allowance was A$2.10 per fortnight.
- "It's an Honour - Star of Courage". Retrieved 7 February 2008.
- Medal Yearbook 2014. Honiton, Devon: Token. 2014. p. 390. ISBN 978-1-908828-10-1.
- "The Order of Wearing Australian Honours and Awards" (PDF). Government House. 25 September 2007. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Australian Bravery Association - Star of Courage". Retrieved 7 February 2008.
- "Veteran's Entitlements Act 1986 - Sect 102". Commonwealth Consolidated Acts. Australasian Legal Information Institute. Retrieved 17 November 2007.
- Star of Courage Fact Sheet, Australian Bravery Association. Also at It's an Honour
- The Australian Honours Secretariat, www.gg.gov.au
|This article related to orders, decorations, and medals is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|