St. Vincent–St. Mary High School
|St. Vincent–St. Mary High School|
15 North Maple Street
|Type||Private, college prep|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Established||1897 (St. Mary)|
1906 (St. Vincent)
|Chaplain||Fr. Gordon Yahner|
|Nickname||The Fighting Irish|
|Newspaper||The Leprechaun Gold|
The current St. Vincent–St. Mary High School was formed by the merger of St. Vincent and St. Mary High Schools in 1972. The newly merged school took on the athletic nickname of St. Vincent, the Fighting Irish.
In May 2013, St. Vincent–St. Mary alumnus LeBron James donated $1 million to the school for the purpose of renovating their basketball arena. The project included the installation of a new basketball floor, scoreboard, locker rooms, and bleachers, the seating capacity of which was raised from 1,600 to 1,831. The subsequently renamed LeBron James Arena now also serves as home of North American Premier Basketball's Ohio Cardinals and the American Basketball Association's Akron Aviators.
St. Mary High School
In 1887 Richard Gilmour, then Bishop of Cleveland, had commissioned Rev. Dr. Thomas F. Mahar, pastor of St. Vincent Church, the oldest Catholic church in Akron, to establish a mission in south Akron. St. Mary Parish was founded by Rev. Mahar in 1896. The high school was founded a year later. St. Mary's athletic teams were formerly known as the Crusaders.
St. Vincent High School
A high school was opened in September 1906 to provide parishioners' sons with a classical education beyond grade school. The parish had already opened St. Vincent Grade School, Akron's oldest Catholic school still in operation. At the time of the merger, St. Vincent High School had graduated over 6,000 students.
- Football – 1972, 1981, 1982, 1988, 2012, 2013
- Boys' basketball – 1929**, 1984, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2009, 2011, 2017, 2018
- Baseball – 1986, 1989
- Boys' golf – 1927*
- Wrestling – 2001
- Girls' cross country – 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Girls' basketball – 1979, 1980, 1995
- Girls' softball – 1979, 1984
- Boys' track - 2011, 2013
- Girls' track - 2012
* Title won by St. Mary High School prior to merger with St. Vincent.
** Title won by St. Vincent High School prior to merger with St. Mary
- Parris Campbell, NFL player
- LeBron James, NBA player
- William Jurgens, Catholic priest, author, composer, and historian
- Jerome Lane, NBA player
- Tony Laterza, college basketball head coach
- Sandra Pianalto, United States Federal Reserve
- JaKarr Sampson, NBA player
- Frank Stams, NFL player
- Romeo Travis, basketball player
- Brian Windhorst, author and reporter for ESPN
Notes and references
- STVM Website
- St. Vincent Church
- "St. Vincent Parish History" (PDF). stvincentchurch.com.
- Past, Present & Future — St. Mary High School
- "Athletics — Past, Present & Future". stvm.com.
- St. Vincent Elementary School — History
- Past, Present & Future — St. Vincent High School
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball D3". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball D2". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball AA". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball A". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Wrestling". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Softball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.