Akron Beacon Journal
The Akron Beacon Journal is a morning newspaper in Akron, Ohio, United States. Owned by GateHouse Media, it is the sole daily newspaper in Akron and is distributed throughout Northeast Ohio. The paper's coverage focuses on local news. The Beacon Journal has won four Pulitzer Prizes: in 1968, 1971, 1987 and 1994.
The March 2, 2007 front page of the
Akron Beacon Journal
|Founded||1839(as the Summit Beacon)|
|Headquarters||44 East Exchange Street|
Akron, Ohio 44309-0640
85,000 Sundays in 2017
The paper was founded with the 1897 merger of the Summit Beacon, first published in 1839, and the Akron Evening Journal, founded in 1896. In 1903, the Beacon Journal was purchased by Charles Landon Knight. His son John S. Knight inherited the paper, in 1933, on Charles' death. The Beacon Journal under Knight was the original and flagship newspaper of Knight Newspaper Company, later called Knight Ridder.
The McClatchy Company bought Knight Ridder in June 2006 with intentions of selling 12 Knight Ridder newspapers. On August 2, 2006, McClatchy sold the Beacon Journal to Black Press. In 2018, GateHouse Media bought the newspaper.
On November 11, 2013, the Akron Beacon Journal printed its last paper in-house. It subsequently used the presses at The Repository in Canton, Ohio, also owned by GateHouse. As of March 2019[update] it was using the presses at The Plain Dealer in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Sheldon Ocker: Covered the Cleveland Indians for the Beacon Journal. Received the 2018 J. G. Taylor Spink Award; inducted him into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Terry Pluto: recognized as NSSA Ohio Sportswriter of the year multiple times. Wrote more than 20 books, mostly about Northeast Ohio sports.
- 1968 Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Writing (John S. Knight) for Vietnam War weekly notebook columns
- 1971 Pulitzer Prize for General Local Reporting for coverage of Kent State Shootings
- 1987 Pulitzer Prize for General News Reporting for coverage of potential Goodyear takeover: "The Goodyear War"
- 1994 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service for race relations series: "A Question of Color"
- Audit Bureau of Circulations e-Circ data for the six months ending September 30, 2011. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- "Akron Beacon Journal". Akron Beacon Journal. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- Winges, Bruce (March 2, 2019). "Beacon Journal Editor Bids Farewell". Akron Beacon Journal. Retrieved March 6, 2019.
- "Sheldon Ocker wins Hall of Fame's Spink Award". USA TODAY.
- "Ocker to receive Hall of Fame's Spink Award". ESPN.com. 12 December 2017.
- Lewis, Ryan (2018-07-28). "Baseball Hall of Fame: Former Beacon Journal writer Sheldon Ocker honored with J.G. Taylor Spink Award". Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- "Beacon Journal Pulitzer Prizes". Ohio.com (Akron Beacon Journal). 2014-09-20. Retrieved 2019-06-12.