The (Northern) Sporades (//; Greek: Βόρειες Σποράδες) are an archipelago along the east coast of Greece, northeast of the island of Euboea, in the Aegean Sea. They consist of 24 islands, four of which are permanently inhabited: Alonnisos, Skiathos, Skopelos and Skyros. They may also be referred to as the Thessalian Sporades (Θεσσαλικές Σποράδες).
The Sporades within the Aegean Sea
|Region||Thessaly Central Greece|
|• Total||275.7 km2 (106.4 sq mi)|
|• Density||50/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
In modern geographical parlance, there are five different Sporades groups:
- Thessalian Sporades (Θεσσαλικές Σποράδες) or Northern Sporades. Since c. 1960, the term "Sporades" refers mainly to these islands:
- Thracian Sporades (Θρακικές Σποράδες): Thasos, Samothrace, Imbros, Lemnos and Agios Efstratios
- Western Sporades (Δυτικές Σποράδες): Salamis, Aigina, Poros, Hydra, Spetses, and the other islands of the Saronic Gulf and the Myrtoan Sea.
- Eastern Sporades (Ανατολικές Σποράδες), i.e. the islands of the eastern and northeastern Aegean, near the coast of Asia Minor : Samos, Ikaria, Lesbos, Chios, Tenedos, Psara, Oinousses and smaller island groups
- Southern Sporades (Νότιες Σποράδες), i.e. the Dodecanese, to which group Samos and Ikaria are sometimes appended.
As a part of the 2011 Kallikratis government reform, the regional unit Sporades (Greek: Περιφερειακή ενότητα Σποράδων) was created out of part of the former Magnesia Prefecture, region of Thessaly. The regional unit is subdivided into 3 municipalities. These are:
- "Skyros – Britannica Concise" (description), Britannica Concise, 2006, webpage: EB-Skyros.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sporades.|
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Sporades.|
- Skiathos Villas (in English)
- Sporades The Official website of the Greek National Tourism Organisation
- Skopelos island Travel Guide since 1999
- Alonnisos island Travel Guide
|This Thessaly location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|