Spine of God
Spine of God is the debut studio album by American rock band Monster Magnet, released in 1991 in Europe and in the United States in the following year. The album represents one of the earliest examples of the emerging 1990s sub-genre of stoner rock. Though it did not perform well commercially at the time of its release, the album appeared in the number nine position on Spin Magazine's "Ten Best Albums of the Year You Didn't Hear" for the year 1991. The song "Medicine" was released as a single with accompanying music video.
|Spine of God|
|Studio album by|
|Released||December 6, 1991|
|Recorded||1991 at Subterranean Sound, (High Street, USA) Long Branch, New Jersey|
|Genre||Stoner rock, psychedelic rock, space rock|
|Producer||Dave Wyndorf & John McBain|
|Monster Magnet chronology|
Cover of the 2006 reissue
The album mixes elements of punk, heavy metal, psychedelic rock, and space rock. The album features a cover of Grand Funk Railroad's "Sin's a Good Man's Brother". Spin magazine, in its December 1991 issue, referred to the album as "a total KO" while comparing it favorable to the work of grunge rock icons of the day such as Soundgarden, Tad, and Mudhoney.
Spine of God was re-released in March 2006 on Steamhammer Records with new artwork, new liner notes, compressed dynamic range, and a previously unreleased demo version of "Ozium" included as a bonus track.
All songs written by Dave Wyndorf unless noted otherwise.
- "Pill Shovel" (McBain/Wyndorf) – 4:00
- "Medicine" – 3:21
- "Nod Scene" (McBain/Wyndorf) – 6:46
- "Black Mastermind" (McBain/Wyndorf) – 8:13
- "Zodiac Lung" – 4:44
- "Spine of God" – 8:02
- "Snake Dance" – 3:10
- "Sin's a Good Man's Brother" (Mark Farner) – 3:31
- "Ozium" – 8:01
- "Ozium" [Demo] – 8:38 *
* Reissue bonus track
- Dave Wyndorf – guitar, vocals
- John McBain – guitar
- Joe Calandra – bass
- Jon Kleiman – drums
- Tim Cronin – (credited, in typical Monster Magnet style, as "Dope/Lights/Center of the Universe")
- Dave Wyndorf - producer
- John McBain - producer
- Stacy "Springdale" Phelon – engineer
Art and designEdit
- Rob Leecock – bullgod design
- Samantha Muccini – photography
- Reed Linkletter Jr. – art direction
- Alexander von Wieding – reissue artwork
- Ankeny, Jason. "Monster Magnet Spine of God review". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- Alisoglu, Scott (24 April 2006). "Monster Magnet - Spine of God (SPV re-issue)". Blabbermouth. Roadrunner Records. Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- Gitter, Mike (12 October 1991). "Monster Magnet 'Spine of God'". Kerrang!. 362. London, UK: EMAP.
- Levy, Joe (December 1991). "10 Best Albums of the Year You Didn't Hear". Spin. p. 88. Retrieved 1 February 2011.
- Monster Magnet – Spine Of God https://www.discogs.com/Monster-Magnet-Spine-Of-God/release/1680855