Southern Daily Echo
The Southern Daily Echo, more commonly known as the Daily Echo or simply The Echo, is a regional tabloid newspaper based in Southampton, covering the county of Hampshire in the United Kingdom. The newspaper is owned by Newsquest, one of the largest publishers of local newspapers in the country, which is in turn owned by Gannett. It began publication in August 1888 and a website has been in existence since 1998.
|Publisher||Newsquest Media (Southern)|
Test Lane, Southampton SO16 9JX
|Circulation||102,821 daily (total combined),
21,185 daily (print),81,636 daily (online)
|Sister newspapers||Hampshire Chronicle, Romsey Advertiser, Bournemouth Daily Echo|
Publication of the print edition is from Monday to Saturday and there is one edition a day, down from six editions a day in 2006. The Echo was initially a daily newspaper before becoming an evening paper and changing its name to the Evening Echo on 1 July 1958. It returned to being the Daily Echo again on 10 January 1994.
The Echo is currently the only paid-for local newspaper covering the city of Southampton.
The editorial position is that of a politically neutral publication.
On Saturdays, the Daily Echo produced Sports Pink is also sold. This is used for the reporting of sport stories regularly involving local sports team Southampton Football Club. This was one of only two surviving 'local football papers' which used to be common throughout the UK. It ceased circulation towards the end of 2017.
The Southampton Advertiser was a free paper that was printed and had an online publication that was owned by the same company, but it was not a part of the Daily Echo.
The newspaper moved to its current main offices in the Redbridge area of Southampton in 1997, with district offices in Winchester. The former city centre offices of the Daily Echo are now the site of the Above Bar entrance to the WestQuay Shopping Centre, which opened in 2000.
The Southern Daily Echo was named Newspaper of the Year 2009 and 2011, and Campaigning Newspaper of the Year 2011 at the annual EDF Energy South East and London Media Awards.
The newspaper's website, dailyecho.co.uk, won Website of the Year at the 2012 EDF Energy South East and London Media Awards.
The current editor is Gordon Sutter who has edited the newspaper since March 2017.
- "Daily Echo ABC Certificate Dec 2014" (PDF). ABC. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "Regional Press Web Stats 2015". Press Gazette. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Heritage | Nostalgia and memories of years gone by in Southampton and Hampshire". Daily Echo. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- Daily Echo
- "Sport | The Pink | The best coverage of the Saints and sport in Hampshire". Daily Echo. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Contact | Telephone numbers and email addresses for the". Daily Echo. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Southampton Memories: People and Places... - Southampton Memories: People and Places". Facebook. Retrieved 3 January 2015.