South Dakota National Guard
The South Dakota National Guard is part of the South Dakota Department of Military & Veterans Affairs. It was created in 1862 as the State Militia. Its headquarters is located in Rapid City, South Dakota. It consists of the South Dakota Army National Guard and the South Dakota Air National Guard.
The Guard in South Dakota was first activated 1862 by the territorial governor, and consisted of six companies of militia, composed of cavalry and infantry. In April 1898 the first infantry was federalized and deployed to the Philippines.
South Dakota Army National GuardEdit
The South Dakota Army National Guard maintains and operates 24 armories, and in 22 different communities. Major components of the SD ARNG include field artillery, engineer, transportation, aviation, maintenance and medical units.
- Joint Force Headquarters
- 196th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade
- 196th Regiment (Regional Training Institute)
- 109th Regional Support Group
- 139th Brigade Support Battalion
- 152nd Combat Sustainment Support Battalion
- 153rd Engineer Battalion
- 881st Troop Command
- 1/147th Field Artillery Battalion
- 147th Artillery Regiment (United States)
- 132nd Engineer Battalion (South Dakota)
- 109th Engineer Regiment (South Dakota)
South Dakota Air National GuardEdit
- https://sdguard.ngb.army.mil/sdguard/guard_army.asp Archived 2007-02-11 at the Wayback Machine
- "South Dakota National Guard". Global Security. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- "Charmaine White Face: Deadly dose of uranium for soldiers". Indianz.Com. 2013-01-28. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- South Dakota Air National Guard (www.sdsiou.ang.af.mil) Archived 2007-07-11 at the Wayback Machine
- South Dakota National Guard
- South Dakota National Guard Prepares for Blizzard Response
- Globalsecurity.org, South Dakota National Guard
- South Dakota Army National Guard accepts first UH-72A
- South Dakota Army National Guard unit begins engagement, training with Surinamese army[permanent dead link]
- South Dakota Army National Guard soldiers deployed to Iraq
- 147th Field Artillery Quick Response Force gets feet wet[permanent dead link]
- Bibliography of South Dakota Army National Guard History compiled by the United States Army Center of Military History