Soul Serenade (Derek Trucks album)
Soul Serenade is the fourth studio album by American jam band The Derek Trucks Band, released in 2003. Soul Serenade may also be considered the band's third album, as it was recorded in its entirety before Joyful Noise, but was held up in legalities, and therefore released later.
|Studio album by|
|Released||August 5, 2003|
|Recorded||February 13, 1999 - April 12, 2000 at Dockside Studios, Maurice, Louisiana|
Gregg Allman recorded April 12, 2000 at Reeltime Studios, Savannah, Georgia
|Genre||Southern rock, jam rock, jazz fusion, blues-rock, world fusion|
|Length||42:37 + 9:23 MOV files|
|Producer||John Snyder, Derek Trucks|
|The Derek Trucks Band chronology|
Soul Serenade continues this band's exploration of genre ambiguity. Refusing to be tied to a single genre (Blues, specifically) alienated some fans, but has allowed Trucks and his band to express themselves creatively in ways that would not be possible if confined to a single genre. Increasingly, the band, with a blues base, embraces world music. This album was released as an Enhanced CD, and contains six QuickTime-format interview clips with Trucks.
|1.||"Soul Serenade/Rasta Man Chant" (C. Ousley/L. Dixon/B. Marley)||10:37|
|2.||"Bock to Bock" (B. Montgomery)||5:59|
|3.||"Drown in My Own Tears" (H. Glover)||5:08|
|4.||"Afro Blue" (M. Santamaria)||5:42|
|6.||"Oriental Folk Song" (Traditional)||6:43|
|7.||"Sierra Leone" (Trucks/Scott/Burbridge)||2:15|
- Enhanced CD interview tracks
|4.||"Spirituality in Music"||1:07|
|5.||"Being in the Moment"||1:22|
|6.||"Making Music Today"||2:36|
- Derek Trucks - guitar, sarod
- Todd Smallie - Bass guitar
- Yonrico Scott - drums, percussion
- Kofi Burbridge - flute, clavinet, Fender Rhodes Piano, keyboards
- Additional personnel
- Bill McKay - Hammond B-3 organ, Wurlitzer Piano, keyboards
- Gregg Allman - vocals (on track 3)
- John Snyder - producer
- Derek Trucks - producer
- Tony Daigle - engineer
- Robert Willis - engineer for Gregg Allman
- Jim Mageras - mastering
- Josh Cheuse - art direction and design
- William Eggleston - cover photo
- Chris Floyd - other photos
- Josh Cheuse - other photos
- Martin Shulman - interview, videography and editing
- Joe Capone - interviewer
- Wayne Forte - booking
- Blake Budney - management
- Marty Wall, Joe Main - crew
- "Soul Serenade". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- Doerschuk, Robert L. (2011). "Soul Serenade - The Derek Trucks Band | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- A note on The Derek Trucks Band Official Website Archived June 26, 2006, at the Wayback Machine refers to Songlines being "held up in legalities."
- "Soul Serenade (EP) (CD)". Tower. Archived from the original on 2011-06-04. Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- "Top Heatseekers - Soul Serenade". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-07-07.[dead link]
- "Top Internet Albums - Soul Serenade". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-07-07.[dead link]