Sophie Ingle (born 2 September 1991) is a Welsh footballer who plays for the FA WSL club Chelsea and is the captain of the Wales national team. She has previously represented Bristol Academy, Cardiff City, and Liverpool. Ingle plays as either a defender or midfielder.
|Full name||Sophie Ingle|
|Date of birth||2 September 1991|
|Place of birth||Llandough, Penarth, Wales|
|Playing position||Defender / Midfielder|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15:58, 20 November 2018 (UTC)|
Ingle began her football career with boys' team Vale Wanderers. Despite making an appeal to the Football Association of Wales (FAW), rules prevented Ingle from playing with the boys beyond the age of 12. She spent a year away from football and then had brief spells with Vale Wanderers' girls and Dinas Powys Ladies. This preceded the teenaged Ingle's move to Cardiff City Ladies.
After a period in the reserves, Ingle broke into Cardiff's FA Women's Premier League team during season 2007–08. After winning the Welsh Cup twice with Cardiff, Ingle signed for WSL outfit Chelsea Ladies ahead of the 2012 campaign.
Chelsea manager Matt Beard deployed Ingle as a central defender and praised her impact after Chelsea's 2012 FA Women's Cup Final defeat to Birmingham: "Sophie Ingle, we initially brought in as a left back but you can see from her quality on the ball and distribution and reading of the game is good as well, she has created a few goals for us with balls in behind which something we haven’t had before."
In February 2014, Ingle left Chelsea and moved nearer to home by joining Bristol Academy. She rose to captain The Vixens, but the club were relegated after the 2015 season. Ingle became a transfer target for other clubs and decided to join Liverpool in December 2015: "Liverpool is a massive club and once I was aware of their interest there was only one team I wanted to sign for".
Ingle was called-up to represent Wales at Under–17 level, and later rose to captain the Under–19 squad. Ingle won her first senior cap for Wales in a 2–1 World Cup qualifying defeat to Azerbaijan, played in Baku on 28 October 2009.
- "Barry footballer signs for Chelsea – and is picked for GB football squad!". Barry and District News. 29 December 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- Daniel Clarke (7 February 2012). "THREE NEW SIGNINGS FOR CHELSEA LADIES". Chelsea FC. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "FA Women's Cup Final 2012 – Reaction from Chelsea". She Kicks. 28 May 2012. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- Perkins, Rob (6 February 2014). "Bristol Academy sign Chelsea's Sophie Ingle". Bristol Post. Retrieved 17 December 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Sophie Ingle opitimistic for Bristol Academy next season". FA WSL. 4 October 2015. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Sophie Ingle: Liverpool Ladies sign Wales and Bristol captain". BBC Sport. 17 December 2015. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Vale hot-shot Jordan hoping Sky's the limit". South Wales Echo. 6 February 2008. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "CITY SLICKERS". South Wales Echo. 2 September 2009. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Azerbaijan 2–1 Wales". UEFA.com. 28 October 2009. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Scotland v Wales – Women's International Friendly – Game Drawn". Football Association of Wales. 17 July 2014. Retrieved 17 December 2015.[permanent dead link]
- Matheson, Sian (20 February 2015). "Ingle looking forward to leading out Wales in March's Istria Cup". Media Wales. Retrieved 17 December 2015.