Songs of the Dying Earth
Songs of the Dying Earth: Stories in Honor of Jack Vance is a collection of short fiction and shorter essays composed in appreciation of the science fiction and fantasy author Jack Vance, especially his Dying Earth series. Edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, it was published in 2009 by Subterranean Press.
First edition cover
|Editors||George R. R. Martin |
|Series||Dying Earth tribute|
|Published||July 31, 2009|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
Twenty-two authors contributed short fiction and an Afterword, about thirty pages on average. Fifteen of the stories are novelettes (7500 to 17,500 words), six are shorter, and The Guiding Nose of Ulfänt Banderōz by Dan Simmons is a novella highlighted on the cover of the second U.S. edition.
Each of the stories by 22 different authors is followed by that author's Afterword and the next story's title, illustration, and introduction. With padding that material consumes four or five pages.[a]
- "Thank you, Mr. Vance" by Dean R. Koontz
- "Preface" by Jack Vance
- Stories, each with the author's Afterword
- "The True Vintage of Erzuine Thale" by Robert Silverberg
- "Grolion of Almery" by Matthew Hughes
- "The Copsy Door" by Terry Dowling
- "Caulk the Witch-chaser" by Liz Williams
- "Inescapable" by Mike Resnick
- "Abrizonde" by Walter Jon Williams
- "The Traditions of Karzh" by Paula Volsky
- "The Final Quest of the Wizard Sarnod" by Jeff VanderMeer
- "The Green Bird" by Kage Baker †
- "The Last Golden Thread" by Phyllis Eisenstein
- "An Incident in Uskvosk" by Elizabeth Moon
- "Sylgarmo's Proclamation" by Lucius Shepard †
- "The Lamentably Comical Tragedy (or The Laughingly Tragic Comedy) of Lixal Laqavee" by Tad Williams
- "Guyal the Curator" by John C. Wright
- "The Good Magician" by Glen Cook
- "The Return of the Fire Witch" by Elizabeth Hand
- "The Collegeum of Mauge" by Byron Tetrick
- "Evillo the Uncunning" by Tanith Lee
- "The Guiding Nose of Ulfänt Banderōz" by Dan Simmons
- "Frogskin Cap" by Howard Waldrop
- "A Night at the Tarn House" by George R. R. Martin
- "An Invocation of Incuriosity" by Neil Gaiman
† One story without supporting material is available online from Tor Books, the publisher of later U.S. editions: Baker, "The Green Bird".
A longer version of VanderMeer's story was published as a chapbook in 500 signed and numbered copies, The Three Quests of the Wizard Sarnod (WSFA Press, 2010). The occasion was Ann and Jeff VanderMeer's appearance at 2010 Capclave as featured guests.
- Inspection of one reprint online shows that its introduction and afterword are both about one full page in length. See the subsequent Note on Shepard, "Sylgarmo's Proclamation".
- With a browser and settings that display the editorial introduction on two pages (screens), the novelette is about 70 pages and the Afterword is two pages. Jointly they are 31 or 32 pages in print.
- Songs of the Dying Earth title listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (ISFDB). Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- Songs of the Dying Earth (first Tor edition), 2010 publication contents at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (ISFDB). Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- The Three Quests of the Wizard Sarnod. ISFDB. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Songs of the Dying Earth|