|Founded||2009 (from merger)|
|Headquarters||Nibancho, Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan|
Number of locations
|Subsidiaries||Shell Garden Co., Ltd. (10%)|
Sale to Fortress Edit
When it was announced that Seven & I Holdings Co. would sell Sogo & Seibu to the company in November 2022, Fortress Investment Group (FIG) said this would allow it to introduce Yodobashi Camera locations into the department store chains stores. On August 31, 2023, it was reported that the company would be sold to Fortress in a deal valued at JP¥220 billion.
The announcement of the sale led to around 900 employees striking and the closure of the Seibu Ikebukuro flagship on August 31st. The strike was the first major department store strike in Japan since the 1960s.
On September 1, 2023, Seven & I Holdings Co. announced that it has completed the sale of the Japanese company to FIG.
See also Edit
- "Seven-Eleven parent to sell Sogo & Seibu stores to U.S. fund". The Japan Times. 2022-11-11. Retrieved 2023-09-02.
- "Japan's Sogo & Seibu department stores are being sold to a US fund as 900 workers go on strike". AP News. 2023-08-31. Retrieved 2023-09-02.
- Negate, Kazuki; Exum, Anika Osaki (2023-08-31). "Sogo & Seibu labor union begins strike at flagship Ikebukuro store". The Japan Times. Retrieved 2023-09-02.
- "Strike at Tokyo department store fails to stop sale of Sogo-Seibu | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis". The Asahi Shimbun. Retrieved 2023-09-02.
- "Sale of Sogo & Seibu completed Friday". NHK. Retrieved 2023-09-13.
- Official website (in Japanese)