Julian Scanlan (born May 1, 1997), known professionally as Slushii, is an American musician, DJ, singer, songwriter and record producer based in Los Angeles. He is best known for working with various artists managed by Moe Shalizi, such as Marshmello, Ookay and Jauz, and for gaining support from notable musician and Owsla-record label founder Skrillex.
Slushii at the Mad Decent Block Party in 2016
|Birth name||Julian Michael Scanlan|
|Also known as||DJ Swoon|
|Born||May 1, 1997|
|Origin||Mount Laurel, New Jersey|
Scanlan grew up in Mount Laurel and graduated from Lenape High School in Burlington County, New Jersey. He worked at Best Buy as a customer service representative in New Jersey until the loss of his cloud-based music and followers led him to start down a new path. Scanlan was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, which he says interfered with his ability to make friends and read social cues. As a result, he was bullied in middle school.
He began his musical career by joining psychedelic power-pop band Deuteronomy for three years until 2012, releasing one album, Propaganda He was a part of the musical duo "Monsters With Tiny Mustaches" alongside his partner MHKAZ.
He became involved with dance music in 2013, using "DJ Swoon" as an alias. One of his SoundCloud posts as DJ Swoon was taken down due to Soundcloud's automatic copyright system, having his account permanently deleted. Shortly after the takedown of his previous alias, Scanlan decided to start a new musical project, dedicated to his more light-hearted and future bass sound, releasing his remix of Zedd and Selena Gomez's "I Want You To Know", which was his first official project under the stage name "Slushii".
He signed for Red Light Management in February 2016.
His first single for Canadian label Monstercat, Emptiness, was released on April 20, 2016. He self-released his seven-track debut extended play titled "Brain Freeze" on May 20, 2016. YourEDM gave it a 9.2 out of 10 rating. His musical style includes contemporary EDM production combining helium vocals, giddy trance synths, trap drums, and dubstep drops. He released "Dear Me" as a free download.
In March 2017, Slushii released a dubstep single titled "Catch Me". It was described as an "upbeat, trapstep-inspired & bass-heavy track". He later collaborated with future bass DJ, Marshmello, for their single "Twinbow," though this is not the first time that they have collaborated.
On August 4, 2017, Slushii released his debut studio album titled Out of Light, which contained 13 songs, including "Dear Me". In 2019, Slushii headlined the 2019 Monster Energy Outbreak tour that toured the U.S from April 26 to June 22 With Supporting acts Nitti Gritti, K?D. and Bro Safari on select dates on the tour. He also performed at the Up and Up Festival at select locations that were mainly colleges or universities. On August 18, 2019 He hinted at a Dubstep EP that would be released the following month, which has yet to be released
- Brain Freeze (2016)
- Out of Light (2017)
- Dream (2018)
- Dream II (2019)
- Cool Cat (2019)
- Marcus, Ezra (January 11, 2017). "The Sweet and Sour Life of Slushii | Thump". Thump. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Roa, Ray; Harrell, Scott (March 11, 2017). "Today in live music; Cage the Elephant & Ghostface Killah at GMF, Slushii, Fay Roy LP Release, Goo Goo Dolls and more". Creative Loafing: Tampa Bay. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- "[Watch] Slushii Brings SharkMello on Stage at Sold Out Denver Show 03/02 | Mix 247 EDM". Mix 247 EDM. March 6, 2017. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Bolander, Tyler (February 22, 2017). "[Contest] Win a Meet & Greet with Slushii + 2 VIP Passes to BUKU Music & Art Project - EDMTunes". EDMTunes. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Riordan, Kevin. "He's Got the Beat; Mt. Laurel teen emerges on the dance music scene.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, August 5, 2014. Accessed December 5, 2017. "Julian Scanlan, a.k.a. DJ Swoon, is too young to go clubbing - unless he brings his party tunes. The Mount Laurel resident, 17, is a rising Electronic Dance Music (EDM) artist.... A bright and personable fellow who in September will start his senior year at Lenape High School, Scanlan sports a hairdo with green tufts on top."
- Marcus, Ezra. "The Sweet and Sour Life of Slushii; We talked to the EDM underdog about his love for Skrillex, his struggle with Asperger's Syndrome, and his escape from suburbia.", Vice.com, January 10, 2017. Accessed December 5, 2017. "LA-based producer Julian Scanlan might still be working at a Best Buy in New Jersey were it not for a SoundCloud violation.... He was 18 years old, living at his mom's house in suburban Mount Laurel while taking classes he wasn't excited about at a local community college."
- Van Beek, Martin (September 16, 2016). "Slushii delivers more melodic bass magic with 'To Say Goodbye'". The Untz. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Staff, Your EDM (February 21, 2016). "Who Is Behind Marshmello's New Protégé, Slushii?". Your EDM. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- Kusnierek, Timmy (September 18, 2016). "See Slushii Before He Was Famous Singing & DJing In His High School Talent Show [VIDEO]". Your EDM. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Meadow, Matthew (December 8, 2016). "Slushii Drops New Song From His Unreleased Archives & We Need More Like This". Your EDM. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Kusnierek, Timmy (May 21, 2016). "Marshmello's Protégé Drops Debut 7-Track Album & Fans Can't Get Enough [STREAM]". Your EDM. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- Verdugo, Kristina (February 8, 2017). "Slushii Releases "Dear Me" as Free Download | The Nocturnal Times". www.thenocturnaltimes.com. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Bein, Kat (February 3, 2017). "Slushii's 'Dear Me' Is The Self-Love Anthem You Need: Listen". Billboard. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Innes, Brittany (March 11, 2017). "Slushii Debuts New Dubstep Track "Catch Me"". EDM Sauce. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Bein, Kat (March 17, 2017). "Slushii & Marshmello's 'Twinbow' Will Have You Blissed Out on Bass: Listen". Billboard. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Nakanishi, Daniel (March 18, 2017). "Marshmello se une une com Slushii para a nova faixa "Twinbow" | Wonderland In Rave". wonderlandinrave.com (in Portuguese). Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- "Stream Slushii's Sweet Debut Album, 'Out Of Light'". Billboard. Retrieved August 16, 2017.