Sino-North Korean Mutual Aid and Cooperation Friendship Treaty
The Sino-North Korean Mutual Aid and Cooperation Friendship Treaty is a treaty signed on July 11, 1961 between North Korea and China. The treaty is currently the only defense treaty China and North Korea has with any nation.
|Sino-North Korean Mutual Aid and Cooperation Friendship Treaty|
After the 1961 May 16 Coup, the new South Korean leader Park Chung-hee urged for an increase in military spending and for action to be taken against North Korea. The North Korean leadership feared a South Korean invasion and turned to the Soviet Union and China for support.
The treaty was signed in Beijing and came into effect on September 10 of the same year. Premier of the People's Republic of China Zhou Enlai and Prime Minister of North Korea Kim Il-sung signed for their respective countries. The treaty generally promoted peaceful cooperation in the areas of culture, economics, technology and other social benefits between the two nations. Specifically, Article 2 of the treaty declares the two nations undertake all necessary measures to oppose any country or coalition of countries that might attack either nation.
The treaty remains in effect and automatically renews every 20 years, being renewed in 1981 and 2001. The most recent renewal will remain in effect until 2021. The right to cancel the Sino-North Korean Treaty can be invoked at specified five-year intervals, and each party must give advance notice of one year.
Kim Il-sung arrived in Beijing in 1961 to sign the treaty just a few days after signing the North Korean-Soviet Mutual Aid and Cooperation Friendship Treaty (朝苏友好合作互助条约). The Soviet treaty however has not been in effect since the 1990s with only a revised "consultation" treaty being re-adopted in 1999.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- "China-N. Korea defense treaty". koreatimes. 2016-07-26. Retrieved 2019-09-14.
- 北朝鮮と軍事同盟50年を祝う中国を侮るな. MSN産経ニュース (in Japanese). 18 July 2011. Archived from the original on 2013-07-18. Retrieved 2013-06-06. Alternative source: 
- 1961年7月11日 《中朝友好合作互助條約》在北京簽訂. Cpc.people.com.cn. Retrieved 2010-05-30.[dead link]
- 中朝兩國關係發展的新契機. CCTV News. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- 鴨綠江水靜流淌：中朝60年紀事. Ifeng. Retrieved 2010-05-30.Archived 2011-07-20 at the Wayback Machine
- Harrison, Selig S.  (2003). Korean endgame: a strategy for reunification and U.S. disengagement. p 322.
- 兩韓緊張升級 中國角色難演 (in Chinese). Sina Hong Kong. Retrieved 2010-05-30.Archived 2010-06-03 at the Wayback Machine