Simon Barrington-Ward Church of England.(27 May 1930 – 11 April 2020) was a bishop in the
|Bishop of Coventry|
Barrington-Ward at Magdalene College, Cambridge, October 2011
|Diocese||Diocese of Coventry|
|Other posts||honorary assistant bishop in Ely|
|Born||27 May 1930|
|Died||11 April 2020(aged 89)|
|Parents||Robert Barrington-Ward & Margaret Adele Barrington-Ward|
|Spouse||Jean Caverhill Taylor (m. 1963)|
|Profession||RAF officer; theologian|
|Alma mater||Magdalene College, Cambridge|
Barrington-Ward was the son of Robert Barrington-Ward, who served as editor of The Times, and Margaret Adele Barrington-Ward. He was educated at Eton College and Magdalene College, Cambridge, from which he graduated Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Cambridge Master of Arts (MA Cantab.). After service as a Pilot Officer in the Royal Air Force, he taught at theological colleges before being ordained: he was made a deacon at Michaelmas 1956 (30 September), by Gordon Walsh, Assistant Bishop of Ely, at Ely Cathedral and ordained priest the following year.
He was the General Secretary of Church Missionary Society (CMS) from 1975 to 1985. From 1985 to 1997, he served as the seventh Bishop of Coventry. He was consecrated a bishop by Robert Runcie, Archbishop of Canterbury, on All Saints' Day 1985 (1 November) at Westminster Abbey.
Barrington-Ward was later a bishop with pastoral care at the University of Cambridge, an honorary assistant bishop in the Diocese of Ely, honorary assistant chaplain of Magdalene College where he had been an honorary fellow since 1987, and a chaplain to the staff of Ridley Hall, Cambridge.
In the New Year Honours 2001, he was appointed a Knight Commander of the Most Distinguished Order of St Michael and St George (KCMG), having served as the Prelate of that Order. Following the custom for clergy in the Church of England, he did not use the title of "Sir".
- "Barrington-Ward, Rt Rev. Simon". Who's Who. 2012. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- Who's Who. London: A & C Black. 1992. ISBN 0-7136-3514-2.
- Crockford's clerical directory. London: Church House Publishing. 1995. ISBN 0-7151-8088-6.
- "Michaelmas Ordinations". Church Times (#4886). 5 October 1956. p. 10. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 12 June 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- Ellis, P, ed. (1992). Debrett's People of Today. London: Debrett's. p. 1621. ISBN 1-870520-09-2.
- "picture caption". Church Times (#6404). 8 November 1985. p. 3. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 12 June 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Fellows of the Colleges: Magdalene". Cambridge University Reporter. CXXXVII (Special No 3). 5 October 2006.
- "Bishop Simon Barrington-Ward has died". Diocese of Coventry. Retrieved 15 April 2020.
- "The Right Reverend Simon Barrington-Ward, well-liked Bishop of Coventry – obituary". The Telegraph. 19 May 2020. Retrieved 21 May 2020.
| Bishop of Coventry
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|