Siblings Day (sometimes called National Siblings Day or National Sibling Day) is a holiday recognized annually in some parts of the United States on April 10, honoring the relationships of siblings. Unlike Mother's Day and Father's Day, it is not federally recognized, though the Siblings Day Foundation is working to change this. Since 1998, the governors of 49 states have officially issued proclamations to recognize Siblings Day in their state.
|National Siblings Day|
|Observed by||Several countries, originally USA|
|Significance||Honoring relationships of siblings|
|Next time||10 April 2019|
|Related to||In honorees: Raksha Bandhan
In history and celebrations: Children's Day, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Parents' Day
|Brothers and Sisters Day|
|Observed by||Several countries, namely France, Portugal, Spain|
|Significance||Honoring bonds and relationships of siblings|
|Next time||31 May 2019|
|Related to||In honorees:
In history and celebrations: Children's Day, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Parents' Day, National Grandparents Day
Siblings Day has spread beyond the United States, and has been recognized by media outlets and celebrities in the United Kingdom, Australia, and India. In France, in Portugal, in Spain, and some other European countries, Siblings Day or Brothers and Sisters Day is celebrated on May 31, following the initiative taken by the European Large Families Confederation (ELFAC).
The US holiday was originally conceived by Claudia Evart to honor the memory of her brother and sister that love each other , both of whom died at early ages. The Siblings Day Foundation was incorporated in 1997 and achieved non-profit status in 1999. Carolyn Maloney, then the U.S. Representative for New York's 14th congressional district, officially saluted the holiday and introduced it into the official Congressional Record of the United States Congress on September 26, 2005.
In Europe, the holiday was launched in 2014 by the European Large Families Confederation (ELFAC) to celebrate siblings bonds and relationships. The May 31 feast spread in different ways in the European countries where ELFAC is present. In Portugal, Dia dos Irmãos has become very popular and the President of Republic of Portugal has greeted it publicly, in 2016 and 2017. 
ELFAC has associate members in several European countries: Austria, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Portugal, Romania, Serbia and Switzerland. But adherence to the date and spirit of May 31 is open to any other European or non-European country.
Examples of commemoration during this observance include giving your sibling a gift (including a surprise gift), a giftcard, and taking one out for dinner. Nonmaterial examples of observances during this day includes giving hugs to your sibling(s), enjoying time with them, and honoring their presence in your life.
- "Here's all you need to know about Brother and Sister day, and how the date is marked". May 2, 2018. Retrieved June 18, 2018.
- "National Sibling Day – Highlight: ARISE Sibshops for Children". Oswego County Today. March 22, 2013. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- "Siblings Day Foundation". Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "Gubernatorial (State) Proclamations". Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- Jennifer Newton (April 10, 2017). "BROTHERLY LOVE Happy Siblings Day 2017! What happens on the day and how can you celebrate your brothers and sisters?". The Sun (United Kingdom).
- Dixit, Marni (April 11, 2015). "Sister act! Rhiannon Fish joins National Siblings Day celebration by posting throwback snaps of her and sister Miranda in adorable animal-print outfits". Daily Mail Australia. Retrieved April 12, 2015.
- Kapur, Arjun-Anshula (April 12, 2015). "Bollywood celebrates siblings day". The Times of India. Retrieved April 12, 2015.
- "ELFAC launches The Siblings Day the 31st of May". ELFAC, 31 May 2014. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- Spiegel, Debbi (March 22, 2013). "Celebrate National Siblings Day!". Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- "Siblings Day Foundation". Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- Maloney, Carolyn B. (March 22, 2005). "Congressional Record - Extenions of Remarks" (PDF). In Honor of Siblings Day. Retrieved March 22, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Dia dos Irmãos". Wikipedia PT. Wikipedia. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Presidente da República assinala o Dia dos Irmãos". Presidência da República (Portugal). 31 May 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Presidente da República assinala o Dia dos Irmãos". Presidência da República (Portugal). 31 May 2017. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "ELFAC members". ELFAC. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "About 80 percent of Americans have at least one sibling..." Chicago Tribune.
- Twelve Principles of the Gilded Nest: Designing for the Soul of the Home, p 97, 2002
- The Oamaru Telegram Issue 192:
- Chases Calendar of Events, 2012 Edition, McGraw Hill Professional