Sherri Tenpenny is an American osteopathic physician and anti-vaccination activist from Ohio who supports the discredited theory that vaccines cause autism. She is the author of four books opposing vaccination, and her 2015 lecture tour of Australia was cancelled due to a public outcry over her views on vaccination, which go against the established scientific consensus. She has no advanced clinical or research specialization in immunology, vaccinology, or public health, nor has she ever published peer-reviewed research in any area related to vaccines or immunology.
Education and careerEdit
Tenpenny graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Toledo in 1980, and subsequently received a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree from the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine in Missouri in 1984.
From 1986 to 1998, Tenpenny was the director of the emergency department at Blanchard Valley Hospital in Findlay, Ohio. She opened an osteopathic practice in 1994, and went on to establish two more such practices, in 1996 and 2011.
Tenpenny had scheduled a speaking tour in Australia to occur starting in February 2015, but after objections were raised to her anti-vaccination views, all the venues at which she was scheduled to speak cancelled the talks in January, and the tour was called off.
- Saying No to Vaccines: A Resource Guide for All Ages. Middleburg Heights, Ohio: NMA Media Press. 2008. ISBN 978-0-97909-104-9.
- FOWL! Bird Flu: It's Not What You Think. Sevierville, Tenn.: Insight Pub. Co. 2006. ISBN 978-1-93286-387-1.
- The Risks, the Benefits, the Choices, a Resource Guide for Parents. Sevierville, Tenn.: Insight Publishing. 2006. ISBN 978-0-97434-482-9.
- A Healthier You!. Sevierville, Tenn.: Insight Publishing. 2005. ISBN 978-1-93286-385-7.
- "Anti-vaccination views are misguided - but not illegal". Sydney Morning-Herald. 11 January 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Tenpenny, Sherri. "Sherri J. Tenpenny, DO, AOBNMM (CV)" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 February 2015. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Sherri Tenpenny: Who is the controversial anti-vaccination campaigner planning to visit Australia?". ABC News. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Medew, Julia (29 January 2015). "US anti-vaccination campaigner Dr Sherri Tenpenny cancels tour of Australia". The Brisbane Times. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Milman, Oliver (8 January 2015). "Sydney venue cancels seminar by US anti-vaccine activist Sherri Tenpenny". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 January 2015.