Saleh M. M. Rahman, better known by his pen name Sezan Mahmud, (Bengali: সেজান মাহমুদ) is a Bangladeshi-born American writer, lyricist, columnist and physician. He was awarded the Shishu Academy Award in 1395 Bengali year (1988). A physician by training, he works as a professor of medicine and Assistant Dean of Diversity and Inclusion at the University of Central Florida College of Medicine.
Sezan Mahmud (2013)
|Born||Saleh M. M. Rahman|
|Occupation||Writer, film director, lyricist, columnist, physician by training, professor of public health and medicine|
|Education||MD, PhD, MPH|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Genres||Magic Realism, documentary, science fiction, science based adventures, children's Literature.|
- 1 Professional life
- 2 Literature
- 3 Published books
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Published songs
- 6 Awards in literature
- 7 Awards in professional works
- 8 References
- 9 External links
He received his M.B.B.S (M.D.) degree in medicine from Sir Salimullah Medical College, under Dhaka University in 1992, M.P.H degree from Harvard University School of Public Health in 1997 and Ph.D. from University of Alabama, Birmingham, School of Public Health in 2001. He has completed his IDF fellowship in Endocrinology at Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School. He was tenured full professor of Public Health at Florida A&M University and Clinical Research Professor of Medicine at Florida State University
Sezan Mahmud published his debut novel "AgniBalak" (অগ্নিবালক) in 2009, well received by eminent writers and critics of contemporary Bengali literature. His book on the true, untold stories of Naval Commandos in the Bangladesh liberation war (1971), one of the very first books on true stories of Liberation war, Operation Jackpot ("অপারেশন জ্যাকপট", ১৯৯১) was translated into English and published in Amazon Kiddle version. His contribution to popularize the history of liberation war of Bangladesh to youngsters is noteworthy. His juvenile novel based on the liberation war ('Moner Ghuri Latai', 1992) was retold in the full-length feature film "Gourob" (গৌরব) directed by nationally awarded film director Harunur Rashid. His writing has been selected and included by Bangladesh Text Book Board since 1996 in the sixth grade along with the most eminent writers of Bengali literature.
- Science Fiction Samagra, Vol. 1 (Sandesh Prokashon, 2019)
- Harvard er Smriti O Onny ek America (Oitijjho Prokashoni, 2016)
- Path Haranor Path, Column Samagra, Vol. 1 (Subarno Prokashoni, 2011)
- Science Based Adventure Samagra, Vol. 1 (Jhingeful Prokashoni, 2010)
- MuktiJuddher Kishor Rachana Samogra, Vol. 1 (Mawla Brothers, 2002) - a compilation of four novels/docu-novels based on the liberation war of Bangladesh
Novels and docu-novel on the Liberation warEdit
- Ognibalak (Shahittya Prokash, 2009)
- Operation Jackpot [English translation]. Bangla Prokash. 2009. OCLC 796258642.
- Operation Jackpot (in Bengali). Protik Prokashoni. 1991. OCLC 84328727.
- MuktiJudhdher Shera Lorai, (Mohona Prokashoni, 1992) - a docu-commentary of the top ten strategic battles of the liberation war of Bangladesh
- Moner Ghuri Latai (Shahittya Prokash, 1992) - a juvenile novel based on liberation war of Bangladesh
- Kala Kuthuri (Mawla Brothers, 2002) - a drama-novel on the liberation war of Bangladesh and the collaborators
- Debdut Manush (Sandesh Prokashon, 2019)
- Manusher Modhdhe Manush (Bangla Prokash, 2014)
- Cosmic Sangeet (Bangla Prokash, 2014)
- Lethe (Biddhya Prokash, 2012)
- Ayuskal O Trimilar Prem (Abasor Prokashoni, 2010)
- Haram O Onnyano Galpa (Mawla Brothers, 2011)
- Project Vutong Adhunikong (Agami Prokashoni, 2002)
Science-based adventure novelsEdit
- Tushar Manab (Iceman) (Shahittaya Prokash, 1994)
- Deep Pahare Atongka (Ankur Prokashoni, 1992)
- Bishsher Shreshtha Dosh Ovijatri (Shahittya Prokash, 1992)
- Chhoray Chhoray Science Fiction (Agami Prokashoni, 2010) -Collection of science fiction rhymes.
- Habijabi (1st edition, Dinratri Prokashoni, 1988, 2nd edition, Auninday Prokashoni, 1992, 3rd edition, Agami Prokashoni, 2010)- collection of juvenile rhymes
- Palte Shudhu Lebas (Shoilee Prokashoni, 1992) -Collection of political rhymes
- Kishor Rahashshay Galpo (Dinratri Prokashoni, 1988)
- Nirbachito Kishor Rahashshay Galpo (Kakoli Prokashoni, 1992, Second edition, 2005)
- Chokh Firiye Dekhi (1992)
- Lashkata Ghar, a documentary film on the people called Dom (considered lower cast and untouchable) written and directed by Sezan Mahmud, has received 2014 Honorable Mention Award at the Richmond International Film Festival.
- Script for "Gourob" based on his novel "Moner Ghuri Latai", Directed by nationally awarded director Harunur Rashid, Produced by Bangladesh Shishu Academy (1998)
Sezan Mahmud wrote and tuned many popular songs sung by eminent singers from Bangladesh. His lyricist debut was "Nelson Mandela", a song written on Mandela's 70th birthday to collect signatures from mass population for unconditional release from jail. The song was sung by Fakir Alamgir. Among other popular songs are Elomelo Chul ar Lolater Bhaj (Kanakchanpa), Ami Noi Bonolata Sen (Kanakchanpa), Kono Ek Sundori Rate (Samina Chowdhury) Amar Duchokh Diye (Tapan Chowdhury), Banchar Moro Banchte Chai (Renaissance), Ektai Prithibi Amader (Dolchut & other Bands), Tobu Bhalobahi Amader Dhaka (Fakir Alamgir).
Awards in literatureEdit
- Bangladesh Shishu Academy Award, (1988)
- Our Pride Award (2005) given by Bangladesh-American Foundation Inc.
Awards in professional worksEdit
- Global Corporate Award in Science and Academia (2014)
- MSI Faculty Scholar in Cancer research (2010, Awarded by American Association for Cancer Research)
- MSI Faculty Scholar in Cancer research (2008, Awarded by American Association for Cancer Research
- APHA-PHEHP Early Career Award (2006, American Public Health Association)
- Alabama Power Foundation Outstanding Achievement Award (2001, University of Alabama at Birmingham)
- international Diabetes Federation (IDF) Fellowship Award (Harvard University, 1995)
- [Shishu, 15th year, 5th vol. p 43-46]
- "Saleh M. M. Rahman, MD, Ph.D., M.P.H". College of Medicine. University of Central Florida.
- "Saleh M Rahman MD, PhD, MPH". Florida State University College of Medicine. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- Sezan Mahmud. Operation Jackpot: A true, untold story of naval commando operations in the liberation war of Bangladesh in 1971. Amazon.com. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- Charupath, 6th grade. Bangladesh Text Book Board. 1996. pp. 68–72.
- Sezan Mahmud. Ognibalak (The Fiery Boy) (Novel/Fiction). Amazon.com. ASIN B002ATDASS. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Mukti Judhdher Shera Lorai :মুক্তিযুদ্ধের সেরা লড়াই". Boi-Mela. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Moner Ghuri Latai :মনের ঘুড়ি লাটাই". Boi-Mela. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- Sezan Mahmud. Haram O Onnanno Golpo. Amazon.com. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Dweep Pahare Atangka :দ্বীপ পাহাড়ের আতঙ্ক". Boi-Mela. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Bishsher Shreshtha Dosh Ovijatri :বিদেশের শ্রেষ্ঠ দশ অভিযাত্রী". Boi-Mela. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "পিপীলিকা লাইব্রেরি". Library.pipilika.com. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Lashkata Ghar (2014)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "The Richmond International Film Festival Announces the 2014 Top Award Recipients" (PDF). Rvafilmfestival.com. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "A tribute to Nelson Mandela". YouTube. 20 August 2008. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "elomelo chul r lolater vaaj kanakchapa [music by mainul islam khan". YouTube. 1 May 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Aami Noi, Seyi Bonolata Sen - (BULBUL Ki Pasand)". YouTube. 8 November 2014. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "কোন এক সুন্দরী রাতে (Kono Ek Sundori Rate) - সামিনা চৌধুরী". YouTube. 26 May 2016. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "FAKIR ALAMGIR-vaalobashi dhaka.MPG". YouTube. 30 December 2009. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "In The News". Global Corporate Awards. Retrieved 2 December 2016.