Semmering is a town in the district of Neunkirchen in the Austrian state of Lower Austria. It is famous for its skiing, and has hosted the Alpine skiing World Cup several times. When the famous Semmering Railway was completed in 1854, it brought many tourists from Vienna to here. Today, tourists are fewer, but more than 100,000 overnight stays are still recorded each year. In 2011, the town had a permanent population of 571.
|• Mayor||Horst Schröttner (ÖVP)|
|• Total||8.65 km2 (3.34 sq mi)|
|Elevation||950 m (3,120 ft)|
|• Density||63/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
History of the resortEdit
At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, the better Viennese society discovered the Semmering as a nearby summer resort - destination.
The place is mainly revived with the construction of the Semmering Railway, which opened 1854.
Semmering is located on the border of Lower Austria and Styria at an elevation of 1,000 m (3,280 ft) above sea level and surrounded with forest. Semmering city is located in Neunkirchen, about 100 km (60 mi) from Vienna.
As usual, winter season starts in December and lasts until mid-April. The Semmering resort in winter is a ski village with:
- 14 km slopes for daytime skiing (3 out of them for beginners, 10 - intermediate, 1 - black)
- 13 km slopes for night skiing (Semmering has one of the best lighting system in Europe)
- 12 km slopes available for racing ski
- toboggan run of 3 km
- Split Park
- Vertical height up to 400 m (1,310 ft).
- Semmering is famous for its alpine skiing, and has hosted the World Cup races several times.
- Semmering railway was listed as World Heritage Site of UNESCO in 2005.
Alpine Skiing World CupEdit
Semmering has hosted Alpine Skiing World Cup competitions several times, sometimes during evenings in illuminated slopes. The events have usually attracted many spectators.
- "Dauersiedlungsraum der Gemeinden Politischen Bezirke und Bundesländer - Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Einwohnerzahl 1.1.2018 nach Gemeinden mit Status, Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
Media related to Semmering at Wikimedia Commons
- Semmering travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Pictures of Semmering and information in English language