Scott Lutrus (born April 23, 1988) is a former American football linebacker for the University of Connecticut. After college, he was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars as an undrafted free agent in 2011. After time on various practice squads, he was signed by the Brooklyn Bolts of the Fall Experimental Football League (FXFL) and remained with them until the team folded in 2016.
|Born:||April 23, 1988|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||247 lb (112 kg)|
|High school:||Brookfield (CT)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2012|
Lutrus grew up and attended high school in Brookfield, Connecticut. In football, he was named to the all-state team by the New Haven Register during his senior year, and was named the 2006 Connecticut Gatorade Player of the Year after rushing for 2,017 yards and 34 touchdowns, as well as 63 tackles and four interceptions (two returned for touchdowns) playing defense. He was ranked as a two-star recruit. During his junior year, Brookfield fell short of a league title after losing to the undefeated state champion Pomperaug Panthers in the SWC Championship game.
Lutrus played college football at the University of Connecticut, where he majored in economics and was a four-year starter on the team. He redshirted in 2006, but he became a starter in 2007 at the strongside linebacker position, accumulating 106 tackles. He was the first player since 1999 to be named the Big East Defensive Player of the Week in back-to-back weeks, and after the season he was named to the Freshman All-America team. In 2008, he led the team in tackles at the same position and was named to the All-Big East second team. In 2009 and 2010, a recurring neck injury kept him sidelined for eight games, but he was a team captain each year and recorded 69 and 59 tackles, respectively.
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 2 3⁄8 in
|4.68 s||1.56 s||2.61 s||4.09 s||6.89 s||38 in
|10 ft 1 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Lutrus was projected to go as high as the fifth round in the 2011 NFL Draft, but ended up being undrafted, and he was considered one of the top undrafted players available. After the 2011 NFL lockout ended, Lutrus was quickly signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars as a middle linebacker. He was projected to be a special teams player and backup linebacker, but was released on September 2.
St. Louis RamsEdit
Lutrus was signed to the Rams' practice squad on September 5, 2011.
Lutrus was signed off of the Rams' practice squad by the Colts on November 29, 2011. He was placed on injured reserve on August 14, 2012. On August 1, 2013, Lutrus was waived/injured by the Colts.
- "Three more Connectict players get shots at NFL", The Hour, July 27, 2011, archived from the original on August 22, 2011, retrieved August 16, 2011
- Player Bio: Scott Lutrus, University of Connecticut, retrieved August 16, 2011
- Newberg, Jamie (November 26, 2007), "Freshman All-Americans", Scout.com, retrieved August 18, 2011,
Lutrus recorded 98 tackles, 8 TFL, 4 INT (2 returned for TDs), and 1 sack this season.
- Fox, David (November 27, 2007), "Crabtree leads scary list of young talent", Rivals.com, retrieved August 18, 2011,
Lutrus helped lead Connecticut's surprising season by finishing the regular season with 98 tackles and four interceptions, including two returned for touchdowns.
- Lewis, Scott (July 27, 2011), "NFL Lockout Over, Lutrus Signs with Jaguars", Patch.com, retrieved August 16, 2011
- "Former Brookfield, UConn standout Lutrus to sign with Jags", Danbury News Times, July 26, 2011, retrieved August 18, 2011
- Ostrout, Neill (August 10, 2011), "With UConn's new defensive coordinator, it's 'light your hair on fire and go'", Greenwich Time, Hearst Corporation, retrieved August 16, 2011,
Although the UConn defense as a whole returns a litany of starters, it did lose two four-year starters at linebacker in Scott Lutrus and Lawrence Wilson.
- "Robert Quinn". NFL Draft scout.com. February 29, 2011. Retrieved April 27, 2011. Check date values in:
- McGinn, Bob (July 20, 2011), "Best of the undrafted free agents: Defense", Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Journal Communications, retrieved August 16, 2011
- Kuharsky, Paul (July 26, 2011), Introducing the Jaguars undrafteds, ESPN, retrieved August 16, 2011,
UConn linebacker Scott Lutrus was seen as a possible late-round pick who projects as backup and special teamer.
- "Scott Lutrus," Jacksonville Jaguars, accessed August 15, 2011.