Saudi National Day
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Saudi National Day (Arabic: اليوم الوطني المملكة العربية السعودية al-yawm al-waṭanī al-mamlaka al-ʿArabiyya as-Suʿūdiyya) is celebrated in Saudi Arabia on every 23 September to commemorate the renaming of the Kingdom of Nejd and Hejaz to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia by a royal decree from King Abdul Aziz Ibn Saud in 1932. It is a National Holiday. The number of lunar, not solar, years are commemorated.
|اليوم الوطني للمملكة العربية السعودية|
Saudi National Day
|Official name||Saudi Arabia National Day|
|Observed by||Saudi Arabia|
|Significance||Renaming of Nejd and Hejaz to Saudi Arabia|
Establishment of Saudi ArabiaEdit
King Abdulaziz was able to conquer the oases of Riyadh in 1902; and al-Hasa in 1913, and by 1925, he unified both Nejd and Hejaz after defeating the forces of Sharif Hussein in 1925. On 23 September 1932, Ibn Saud changed the name of his realm to his family name, the House of Saud.
Celebrations of Saudi ArabiaEdit
Saudi National Day is celebrated with folklore dances, songs and traditional festivals. The roads and buildings are decorated with Saudi flags and people wear green and white dresses .
According to the Saudi Arabian government, the celebration is an opportunity to learn the heritage, customs, and traditions of the House of Saud. The celebrations also aim to introduce the heritage of the Saudi-ruled Arabia, appreciate the beauty of the country and the ruling family, and promote pride in the family of Saud. It is also an opportunity to learn about the work of King Abdulaziz, who changed the name of Arabia to his family name, and what he did to establish his family dominance over Arabia. Due to this, some celebrations are held in his memory.
Events and occasions on the same dayEdit
- 2005: King Abdullah acknowledged that Saudi National Day became an official holiday in the kingdom.
- 2009: King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud opened the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, in the presence of a number of foreign heads of state.
- 2014: The Jeddah Municipality unveiled the tallest flagpole in the world.
- 2015: Saudi National Day was approved (the day of Arafa), for the first time.
- "History". Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- "اليوم الوطني / مبنى "إثراء" يروي تاريخ المملكة وكالة الأنباء السعودية". www.spa.gov.sa. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "Saudi Arabia marks national day with fireworks, and concerts". Muslim Global. Retrieved 24 September 2017.