Santa Lucia Mountains slender salamander
The Santa Lucia Mountains slender salamander (Batrachoseps luciae) is a species of salamander in the family Plethodontidae. It is endemic to California in the United States, where it is known only from Monterey County.
|Santa Lucia Mountains slender salamander|
Jockusch, Yanev & Wake, 2001
This salamander is distributed in the Santa Lucia Range in California's Central Coast region. It lives in moist montane chaparral and woodlands and temperate coniferous forest, and it can tolerate disturbed habitat when adequate cover is present.
This species and several other native California salamanders were described as new species in 2001 when the Batrachoseps pacificus species complex was split according to the results of a phylogenetic analysis.
- Hammerson, G. 2004. Batrachoseps luciae. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Downloaded on 19 June 2016.
- Jockusch, E. L., Yanev, K. P., & Wake, D. B. (2001). Molecular phylogenetic analysis of slender salamanders, genus Batrachoseps (Amphibia: Plethodontidae), from central coastal California with descriptions of four new species. Herpetological Monographs, 54-99.
- Batrachoseps luciae. AmphibiaWeb.
- Santa Lucia Mountains Slender Salamander – Batrachoseps luciae. CaliforniaHerps.
- NatureServe. 2015. Batrachoseps luciae. NatureServe Explorer. Version 7.1. Accessed 19 June 2016.