San Diego Chargers 50th Anniversary Team
The San Diego Chargers (known now as the Los Angeles Chargers) announced their 50th anniversary team in 2009 to honor the top players and coaches in the history of the National Football League team. The Chargers were founded in 1959 as part of the American Football League. The anniversary team included 53 players and coaches selected from 103 nominees. The Chargers originally stated that only 50 members would be selected; the group is still sometimes referred to as the 50 Greatest Chargers. Online voting by fans accounted for 50 percent of the voting results; votes from Chargers Hall of Famers and five members of the local media made up for the other 50 percent. Over 400,000 votes were cast online. Dan Fouts and LaDainian Tomlinson received the first and second most votes, respectively. The team features eight Pro Football Hall of Fame members and 11 players that were active on the 2009 Chargers team.
|Member of Pro Football Hall of Fame|
|Years||Years with the Chargers|
|Keith Lincoln||1961–1966, 1968|
|Natrone Means||1993–1995, 1998–1999|
|Ernie Wright||1960–1967, 1972|
|Billy Ray Smith||1983–1992|
- "Celebration announced for 50th season of Chargers football". Chargers.com. The San Diego Chargers. Archived from the original on October 13, 2011.
- "Chargers 50th anniversary team". The Press-Enterprise. November 17, 2009. Archived from the original on August 26, 2011.
- Canepa, Nick (November 16, 2009). "Greatest Chargers list rings true". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Archived from the original on October 12, 2011.
- "Fans to select 50 greatest Chargers". Chargers.com. The San Diego Chargers. Archived from the original on October 13, 2011.
- Davis, Nate (March 1, 2012). "Chargers Pro Bowl LG Kris Dielman retires". USA Today. Archived from the original on March 3, 2012.
- Wilson, Aaron (August 24, 2011). "Chargers to induct Junior Seau to team Hall of Fame". Scout.com. Archived from the original on March 3, 2012.
- Bigelow, Bill (November 28, 2009). "Fouts chosen as all-time 'Greatest Charger'". The Bulletin. Archived from the original on March 3, 2012.
- Williamson, Bill (November 17, 2009). "Chargers announce their all-time team". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on March 3, 2012.
- "Fouts, Tomlinson top vote-getters for All-Time Greatest Chargers". Chargers.com. Archived from the original on March 3, 2012.
- Williamson, Bill (February 22, 2010). "Chargers put out classy statement on LT". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on March 3, 2012.
- Williamson, Bill (July 1, 2010). "Coryell should be in the Hall of Fame". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on March 3, 2012.